Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI

I HAVE BEEN NOTICING ALOT OF TALK ABOUT STARTER PROBLEM AND ALOT OF GOOD ADVICE GIVEN AND I AM HOPING TO GET SOME TOO. HERE GOES

I VE BOUGHT A 82 GL100 INT. LAST YEAR AND DROVE ALOT ALL SUMMER AND TO THE END OF SEPT TILL I VE STARTED HAVING STARTER PROBLEM.

WHEN I TRYED TO STARTED THE STARTER IT WOULD TURN SLOWLY AND NOT AT ALL AND AFTER A FEW TRY I GOT THE MOTOR GOING BUT MOST OF THE TIME I WOULD JUST HEAR A CLICKING SOUND AT THE STARTER RELAY. I TOOK THE RELAY OFF AS ASK IN THE SHOP MANUAL AN DID THE TEST AND FOUND NOTHING AFTER I CLEAN AND MADE SURE ALL THE CONECTIONS WERE OK FROM BATTERY TO RELAY AND STARTER AND BACK ON THE GROUND AND PUT A NEW BATTERY AND STILL GOT A CLICKING SOUND. SO I BOUGHT A REBUILT STARTER OFF E BAY FOR 150$ FROM DB ELECTRICAL
GRAY,TN.

AND INSTALD IT WITH A LITTLE PRAYER LIKE MENTIONS ON S.S. FORMS BY REMOVING THE GEAR SHIFTER AND STARTED IT AND IT RAN AND RAN AGAIN THE NEXT DAY (OH I DID DO ALL THE TEST ON THE OLD STARTED AND ALSO CHECK THE BRUSHED AND CHECK THE ARMATURE BUT DICIDED TO NOT TAKE A CHANCE). BUT THE NEXT TIME I GOT THE STARTER GOING BUT THE MOTOR DID NOT TURN

ALL I GOT WAS A WHIRLING SOUND AND THE STARTED JUST SPINS, BUT NO MOTOR TURN.

SO IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO BEFORE PULLING THE MOTOR OUT AND GOING TO THE STARTED CLUCH AND CHECKING THE ROLLERS ON THE THE STARTED CLUCH .

I VE HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT SEAFOAM ,AND LITTLE SPROCKET ON THE STARTER AND ECT.ANY HELP WILL DO THANKS.

LIVE TO RIDE AGAIN

:(LASERS56

hi there again:coollep:

well i just had a talk on phone to a old friend bike mecanicabout my problem and apparently there isn t any miracle way. using the seafoam is a one shot deal it might work for 1 or 2 week and it gone .usualy when it could be the rollers in the strater cluch it has to be replace with new ones and that that. so i will let you guys know when and what i had to do when i start to pull and teartown the motor if ever anyone can tell me otherwise please do i have open ears and i am sure other will want to know

lasers56

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Try the seafoam treatment before doing anything drastic. Also check your battery voltage, if it's low it might not spin the starter fast enough to engage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

HEY YOU GUYS

DAVE WHICH ONE FROM SEAFOAM TRANS TUNE OR AUTO MARINE

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

For a Wing motor use the auto/marine version. Oh, and please turn off your caps lock.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hey guys

like i said i ve tryed everthing except the seafoam
can i still try it and do i let it sit for a wile because the starter turn but the motor doesn t

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

You will have to get it started and run it 100 miles or so then change the oil. Roll start it if you have to.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

do i dump in the hole amount of 470ml of seafoam it about the size of can about 15.5ounce us

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

really quick question guys. I can't find the thread but I think I remember reading something about how many volts it takes for the starter to spin. I finally got my replacement starter solenoid in the mail today.

I connected everything. lights and all accessories come on. When I click "start". the starter engages but won't spin. I checked voltage and it read 4-6v going to starter. I know this is not enough. How many volts does the starter need again?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

It is going to need a minimum of 10.5 to start things turning over and it should have at least 11.5 to whirl it fast enough to start the engine.

Check the solenoid for a voltage drop across the contacts while starter is engaged. Check terminal connections at the battery and if the dog bone fuse is still there, replace it with an automotive blade type fuse holder and fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

A bad battery cell gave definitely give the impression that the starter is going. Turn over like crazy one minute, grunt over a couple of times or just click. Defintiely check you batteries cells to ensure one isn't low or fused.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

what grade of oil is in it 10w40 or what i own a bike shop in michigan I have alot of trouble with the 1100 guys are using to thick of oil like 20w50 it sometimes too thick for the overrunning clutch to handle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.