Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi there again:coollep:

well i just had a talk on phone to a old friend bike mecanicabout my problem and apparently there isn t any miracle way. using the seafoam is a one shot deal it might work for 1 or 2 week and it gone .usualy when it could be the rollers in the strater cluch it has to be replace with new ones and that that. so i will let you guys know when and what i had to do when i start to pull and teartown the motor if ever anyone can tell me otherwise please do i have open ears and i am sure other will want to know

lasers56

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Hi there Lasers56 i guess you were using seafoam in your oil to free up gunked up
clutch pulls.I was told by a mechanic last year the same as you were and i did that
but what i took out compared to what i put(new pulls springs caps) was not worth
the work,but while i had it out put in new clutch and timing belts.Still had starting
problems after that,so over the winter i replaced my ground cable,battery to
starter cable,and battery to solonid.My cables were shot inside casing,but everything
working great now.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Your issue is most likely temp related, not an issue with a worn out spragg clutch system.

sea foam in the oil will clean out any build up that might cause the clutch system to fail. Clean oil & regular oil changes will keep it clean.

If your wing is warmed up to running temp, & it starts fine than your problem would be thick oil due to low outside temps. This is a big problem with alot of wings right now.

Try running a heater on your motor for an hour before you try to start it, or buy a dip stick heater to heat your engine oil on cold days. If your problem is gone after trying this, than your oil is the issue.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Bailbob, I had the same problem with my bike, also an 1100. I went through 2 srters before I found the problem.

Before you do anything else, pull the starter back out of the bike. Remove the three long bolts and pull the the nose peice off of the main starter casing. When you pull it apart hold it with the nose peice down so the planetary gears do not fall out. Set the main casing down and inspect the planetary gears. What I want you to do is turn the outside gear, note if the outer ring gear is metal or plastic and observe to see if the gears are turning freely. You may very possibly find that there is a point where they just stop like they're stuck. If this is the case, check the ring gear. There is a small key on the nose peice that fits into a notch on the ring gear and keeps it in place. If the gear is plastic, the gear may have jumped and the key is no longer in the notch and it is causing just enough of a flat spot to jam the gears and not allowing the starter to do it's job. This is what happened to mine.

What I did was take apart the old starter, put the old nose peice which had a metal gear onto the new casing put it together and re-installed it. I never had a problem with since then.

It seems some of the off brand manufacturers are saving money by using the plastic gear instead of metal and the torque of the metal gears against it are to much and it moves out of place.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. (with the bike, not your love life, that's for another thread.)

special thanks to Richardrwg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.