Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Easy question......is the 75-77 starter interchangeable with 80-83? My starter died last night, had to push start the beast. I have good voltage at the starter, solenoid clicks, etc. I haven't pulled it off yet, that will be tonight. I happen to have a starter from my 75 project if worst comes to worst.

I'm going to clean mine up, but if I have to swap it out...I have a ride planned for Sunday. Fingers crossed....

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I believe the starter length may be an issue with the older ones. Other then that they are the same. I tried cleaning up my old starter, but it only worked for a few weeks after that. I finally went for a new one. You can get them for under $100 these days if you shop around.,,

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

yes it will work... Have an 79 starter on my 82... It just a little longer so you will have to remove a few thing to get it in... 82-83 just slid in...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Problem solved. I took it apart and found the insulated brush with a melted ring tongue, same for the shoe. I'm assuming it makes it a paperweight. I took one off my 75 (not supposed to be) parts bike and refreshed it. I couldn't get the armature out of the housing though. I cleaned and greased everything else and put it back together. It works like a champ.

For future reference the earlier starters are 1/4" longer than the others. I don't know whee it changes, but it does. It did go in pretty easily.

Thank for the replies.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I think most rebuild kits come with new parts for the ones that are melted..if I understand your terminology correctly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.