Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend of mine has a 83 Interstate with a bad starter. Does he need to pull the engine to get to get the starter out?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

No, definitely not. Theres a load of topics about this on the forum, do a search for better detais. Briefly, you might need to drop the exhaust headers an inch for the starter body to clear the engine. Also drop the bike on the side stand just before actually pulling the starter out so that the drive gear doesn´t roll into the engine.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Just changed the starter on my 81 interstate.. nope didnt pull the motor.... did it in the back yard with bike on kick stand. We took the crash guard of and droped the exhaust down. Had room to get the starter off. You will need a wobble socket to get onto one of the starter bolts but other then that nothing major.. Took us what maybe 1 1/2 to change it out tops. now that we know what we are doing thinkin would take alot less... Not 100 percent sure you even need to drop the exhaust if i had it to do over i would try it with out droppin it......... my 2 cents worth

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Mr Saunders speaks of this and one thing that comes to mind is to have some extra studs for the exhaust as apparently they have a tendency to break. Not always but the potential is there.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like to bad of a job.

I have to change out the clutch in my 86A and that's gonna be something else. Not looking forward to that.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Make sure you do it with the bike on the side stand. Yes, it's a pain but you run the risk of losing the cog in the engine otherwise.

You don't need to remove the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I managed to remove the bolts in my 83 GL1100 Aspencadewithout dropping the exhaust. I used a 1/4" universal and a wobbly extension. Of course you can't get the correct torque this way when putting it back together. I rechecked mine a couple of days later to make sure it wasn't loose.

Bob :11grey:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.