Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Haven't had any trouble with my 81 GL1100 until yesterday. The starter didn't want to engage. It did it a couple times then engaged and started fine. It had been sitting outside with temps in the 40's F and some rain so I wondered if this could have had anything to do with it but this morning in the garage it did the same thing. Any ideas?? Wife won't be a happy camper if I gotta start sticking $$$$ into it. Thanks for any help and ideas.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Over the last few months I have noticed this problem coming up several times. I have not experienced this problem myself but from what I understand, the rollers in the starter clutch get gummed up with oil deposits. The recommended first thing to try is adding a couple of OZ of Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil and run it a couple of hundred miles. Then change the oil and filter. If you are using 20-50wt. oil you may want to try a thinner oil. You may need to do this a couple of times or more but the Seafoam or MMO should help brake down the deposits and free up the rollers. If that doesn't work you may need to pull the engine and replace the starter clutch.

If worst comes to worst you can always push start the bike in an emergency:( Easier said than done I know!:waving:

I'm sure others will have some advice also!

Good luck,

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

No need to remove the engine to remove & replace the starter. Just make sure that the bike is on the side stand & try not to move the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Basics first... Look at the battery and starter wiring connections.. They should be clean and tight. Check the battery for the proper charge.. Does the starter spin strongly with a jump start?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I had this same problem, but it seemed to occur when the bike and weather were both hot,
such as a quick stop for fuel. What we found was the contacts on
the starter button were corroded. Loosed the screws holding
the switch to the handle bars, sprayed it with electrical conection
cleaner which they have at Radio Shack, and have had no more
problems.

Good luck......... those electrical demons can get to you! Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I used to have a '78 GL1000 that would do the same thing once in a
while. I owned the bike for 6 years with 62,000 miles on it. Since it
only happened a few times a year I never fixed it, and it never got
bad. This was in the 1980's, long before great web sites like this were
around to ask for advice. I thing some MMO in the oil would be a good
start. Mine sounded like the starter clutch wasn't gripping tight
enough to turn the engine over.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't do any harm to flush the engine and try lighter oil. You would be amazed at how often this works.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I just recently changed the oil & filter using both Honda 10-40 and a Honda oil filter from the dealer. I would imagine I've put on a couple hundred miles when this first happened. It's done it once now since I first posted the message that weekend. Thanks for all the info.... great group of people!!!!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Hi all I am new here and I have a somewhat similar problem...I just picked up a 76 GL1000 for $200 and it needs some luv. So far I have found and installed a lot of stuff and now I am wrestling with the starter.

With 12 volts going to the battery and jumping the solenoid I get a buzz from the starter. I pulled out the starter and jumped it, spins fine. I am able to turn over the engine with a bar that I am using for a kicker pedal so I know it's nto locked upor anything. Now it has starteed making a buzzing as soon as I push the kill switch to the on positon when theres juice flowig to it. Wife called me in before I could disconnect the starter and see if that's the noise...don't think it is though, seemed to be coming from the right side of the motor? Help?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

The buzzing could be coming from one of the relays under the tank. You will really have to have a proper listen and get back to us...

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

if you are a brave soul, I am an advocate of the diesel flush. Quart of mmo or seafoam is about the same thing, I just do not dilute and run staright kerosene.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.