Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First off let me say hi, I ran across this site looking for info on my starter.

I learned a lot just looking through the forums.

Anyway I need to get a new starter for my 80 GoldWing 1100gl, I have been having issues with it and it went out finally, I tested it and it appears to be dead (I hope I tested right) So I was wondering what is the best place online that I may find a replacement?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Welcome Raceguy
I haven't used them but I know a lot of guys recomend Stockers startes they say they are the best. Here is a link to their site http://www.stockers.com/
Good luck with it :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wow thanks its much cheaper there, I went to my local Honda shop, and for a starter ordered from Honda it was $400!!! They said aftermarket was around $250. This site has it for $100.

Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best wing site on the web!!

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Your welcome and good luck with it.
I haven't replaced mine but reading the forums you don't have to pull the motor because the manuals state the motor needs pulling so maybe you already know this but if you don't it will save a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best bike forum on the net. there is tons of info on this site and some pretty good conversations.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ya i already pulled the starter, I had to drop the pipe and take off the motor bar, and with a little cussing the starter came out, I also DID NOT have the bike on the center stand.

I am not sure if I tested the starter the right way....

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Bench test is simple neg to case, positive to post..they can be rebuilt fairly easily as long as the main post connection is not broken..new brushes, clean commutator and file the spaces down a bit..also if you buy a new one you don't want a Chinese one's they use plastic gears on the planetary end but you can take your metals ring gear end and use it and toss the plastic one..easy to do but voids the warranty..maybe hold on to the old one and when..not if, the Chinese one fails them switch out the gears.

Several posts here someplace with pics and directions

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

howdy

make sure theres metals gears inside the new starter or else thell last 2 or 3 start

lasers56:cooldj:live to ride again

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the WWW... Now when they tell you they can order it..scoff at'em and tell'em you can order it yourself and probably cheaper.

Plus this site is a "must" if you own a wing.Lots of experience here. If its been broken or fixed or in need of fixing then theres someone here thats been there. Fantastic site..:)

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Raceguy00, do not get rid of the old starter. We've found some of the aftermarket starters are using a plastic reing gear surrounding the planetary gears and this could be a problem. If this happens, it is a simple case of putting the metal gear from your old starter into the new one and away you go.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I tested it again and nothing, it didnt do a thing..... so that looks like the issue.

I will keep the old one, I went to the site that kah92340 said and it looks like they have the all metal ones. So I am going to order one and see what happens

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

my starter went out on me right after i got the bike.took it local starter rebuilder.after about 1 hour and 30.00 back on the road again been that way for two years now....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I'm with krazy al on this one. When the starter went on my '83 I took it out, hauled it over to a rebuild shop and had it back in the same day. Worked like a charm. You know, push starting that thing wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Good thing Manitoba has few hills :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.