Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had an issue with the starter relay on my 80 Interstate just clicking, so I bought a used relay from Broke Winger, thanks by the way. When I put this one on, I have no power to the key now. When I turn the key on, no lights, no nothing. Now the relay I just put on looks different from the one I took off, but it fits just the same. The one that I took off had a green "thingy" on it that connected the 4 wire connector to the relay and holds a blade fuse. The one I received has a black "thingy" that connects the 4 wire coupler and I can't find a fuse in this one. Can someone help me out? I feel kind of dumb having to ask for something so simple.:?

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Ok, I think I found the problem but I'm not sure, so here's the idea. I took a second look at the relay I got from Broke Winger, and there is a small case like area on the side. I open it up, and there it is, a label that says 30 amp. Now I don't see a place for a blade fuse or a glass type fuse. The only thing(s) I see there are two small screws that look like they might hold a straight fuse, I think thats what they are called, in place. Am I correct in my thinking or is it just another wild idea of mine?

:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your right. I would consider replacing that with a blade fuse 30 amp. Any auto store.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

The two screws do hold a 30 amp fuse. If you search or read any of the various threads in the Tech pages you'll come across the term "DOG BONE" fuse. There are also several references to replacing it with an automotive style blade fuse and water-proof holder, available at just about any auto-parts store. This fuse is the "MAIN" power source for your Wing... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks. That's what I thought, but wasn't completely sure.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok guys, I went to the local parts house today and ask for a "dog bone" fuse. The people behind the counter looked at me like I had three heads. Not a single one of them new what I was talking about. The manager showed me the selection of fuses they had, not one single "dog bone" in sight. So I opted for a weather tight in line fuse set up. I plan on putting it on this afternoon. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Just went out to try the set up. Hooked it up without a problem. Turned the key, on comes everything; hit the starter button, and BAM, it turned over like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't be any happier about the fix. Thanks for all the great advice I've gotten on here. And a big thanks to Broke Winger for supplying me with the relay.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Now my only problem is knowing how hard this new fuse is goint to be to hide.:D

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

PLSK - Can you post a pic (or anyone elase for that matter) how you wired up the blade fuse holder to replace the dogbone fuse?

I am assuming you just soldered screw connectors to each end of the blade fuse holder, and screwed them onto the two screws, but I I am looking for a neat and easy-to-package way that looks good too.

Thx for your help !!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.