Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do i really need to pull the engine as the clymers says:? i have a 1983 interstate.
anybody with any experience with this???

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

No, you do not have to pull the engine. If you don't have floor boards you don't have to remove anything if you have an 8mm wobble socket.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I did a search on starter removal 83. Here is one of the many threads that came up.

http://tiny.pl/6trz

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Wow! Thanks for the fast response. that makes me feel better. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I haven't done my starter but there have been a lot of posts saying you don't need to pull the motor. If you do a search for GL1100 starter you should find some info or someone will be along who has done it.
Welcome to the forum
And you should put in your location because there may be someone close by and this forum is international.

Some of you guys can really type fast when I first responded there where no replies and then when I sent it there where a bunch of posts already sent

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Sometimes I think my posts are invisible. All you have to do is remove the wire from the terminal, remove the 2 bolts, a 1/4" drive 8mm wobble socket makes it easy. Hold the shifter down and pull or pry the starter forward enough for it to clear the case then pull it out. Reassemble in reverse order It's a 10 minute job.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

On my 1200, I removed the shifter and the rearmost exhaust stud. With a little twisting and turning, it popped right out.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Essy for you. Leave the bike on the side stand. Removal of the shifter lever helps alot.

A new o-ring may be too fat and keep the new starter motor from going back in. Maybe use the old one.

Consider a universal joint for your socket wrench as the front starter bolt at an angle due to exhaust header.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Removal of the shifter lever helps alot.
:waving:The shifter lever does not need to be removed or tied upto facilitateremoval and installation of the starter. I have removed and replaced the starter on my '83 Interstate and didn't need to remove anything for access.

Below is a link to a thread from early this yearthat has a lot of info on removing and installinga starter on a GL1100.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37079&forum_id=1&jump_to=371816

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Simply tie the shifter in the "up" position and it will be out of the way.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

i have 1982 aspencade 1100.with floorboards left it on side stand used 1\4 inch swivel took starter wire off.of course take off the battery first then starter wire then 2 bolts.pryed back out of the case.then slide it right out.did not take anything else off....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.