Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can anyone send me a good discription of how to remove the starter from an 83 gw interstate. with pictures if possible.

I think I have it down to the starter. have jumped from post to post of sylinoid and nothing happens. when I hit the starter switch it just cliks.

also any help locating a service manual that will cover removing the starter, brakes etc.

I think it is a gl 1200. email address is [email protected]

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I think we covered this before. The starter is easy enough to remove from the GL1100, but you will probably have to drop the exhausts about 1" to make room for it to clear the engine. Theres only two 8mm headed bolts holding the starter in, after you disconnect the main feed wire. Before you actually pull the motor out, place the bike on the side stand so that the drive sprocket that the starter sits into (this sproket drives a chain that turns the crankshaft) doesn't fall into the engine. If this sprocket falls into the engine you will have to pull the engine out to retrieve it!

You won't need pictures of the starter removal,as it's basically just two bolts holding it and the procedure I described above.

I have the whole Haynes manual for the GL1200 scanned to disk. If you tell me which jobs precisely you are doing then let us know and I can e-mail you the relevent pages. Obviously I won't e-mail the whole manual as it's almost 50mbs in total!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Side stand, 8mm socket,small hands helps...You may be able to wiggle it out without dropping the exhaust pipes.

You need the bike on the side stand so things stay in place for re-insertion of the starter.

Hope that helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.