Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the short is, how do you remove the closest stud without damaging it? Ive read about double nutting, what is that?

Longer: Did the no remove exhaust starter removal trick. Got as far trying to unscrew the second philips head screw when it stripped out the head. Cant get a pair of vice grips in there to grab it, the angle is all wrong. Ok, plan B. Exhaust removal.

Dropped the fairing pieces, removed the crash bar from both sides, removed the exhaust header manifolds removed the bolt from under the pax side floorboards and the exhaust dropped. Now im stuck on that stud!

Of course, out of 8 studs, it looks the rustiest, worst stud ever. What can I do to get it off? Thankyou!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ok, the short is, how do you remove the closest stud without damaging it? Ive read about double nutting, what is that?

Longer: Did the no remove exhaust starter removal trick. Got as far trying to unscrew the second philips head screw when it stripped out the head. Cant get a pair of vice grips in there to grab it, the angle is all wrong. Ok, plan B. Exhaust removal.

Dropped the fairing pieces, removed the crash bar from both sides, removed the exhaust header manifolds removed the bolt from under the pax side floorboards and the exhaust dropped. Now im stuck on that stud!

Of course, out of 8 studs, it looks the rustiest, worst stud ever. What can I do to get it off? Thankyou!
I will assume that you are talking about removing an exhaust manifold mount stud so you can remove the starter.

Yes, as mentioned above, we need to know what year Wing you have. The 4 bangers don't need the exhaust removed to remove the starter. I never did one on a 6, so I can't say.

Bill

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh see i never would have guessed...I kinda thought it was putting two on there and then wrenching both at the same time (see why I asked, didnt seem like it would work)

Its a 1987 gl1200 Interstate. Ill go try that. Worst case, I break off the stud and get the starter out though, right? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ohhh see i never would have guessed...I kinda thought it was putting two on there and then wrenching both at the same time (see why I asked, didnt seem like it would work)

Its a 1987 gl1200 Interstate. Ill go try that. Worst case, I break off the stud and get the starter out though, right? Thanks!
If the exhaust is off you should be able to grab the stud with a pair of vice-grips and turn it out. They are not in there that tight.

Bill

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok AWESOME came out super easy. When I was tightening the second nut it actually caused the whole stud to tighten a little bit, which is what I think helped loosen it. Came out like a buttered charm! Thankyou so much! Wooop now to take the starter to the rebuild shop I found in my area.

I tried the vice grips, but clamped on all it did was scare me into thinking id wreck the threads and the grips actually slipped around the stud.

Thanks again! Hopefully she'll be running tomorrow...barring I didnt misdiagnose the problem ha ha.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
easiest way to explain is to put two nuts onto stud,with a 10mm wrench holding one,take the upper one with another wrench and tighten both together,continued motion (clockwise) against the upper nut should start to back the stud out of the head

once the starter is pulled out it takes a little bit of twisting and turning at the right time to get it out of the mc in the confined space,hard to explain

just make sure your battery is disconnected

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok took the starter to a rebuild shop, shop said it was completely burnt out, and that the armature is destroyed in it. Im going to be buying a knockoff for 140 and throw that in there as a get me back and forth to work deal...9 miles a gallon in my minivan versus 32 on the bike on a daily ride of 34 miles to and fro is killing the wallet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.