Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ok, the short is, how do you remove the closest stud without damaging it? Ive read about double nutting, what is that?

Longer: Did the no remove exhaust starter removal trick. Got as far trying to unscrew the second philips head screw when it stripped out the head. Cant get a pair of vice grips in there to grab it, the angle is all wrong. Ok, plan B. Exhaust removal.

Dropped the fairing pieces, removed the crash bar from both sides, removed the exhaust header manifolds removed the bolt from under the pax side floorboards and the exhaust dropped. Now im stuck on that stud!

Of course, out of 8 studs, it looks the rustiest, worst stud ever. What can I do to get it off? Thankyou!
I will assume that you are talking about removing an exhaust manifold mount stud so you can remove the starter.

Yes, as mentioned above, we need to know what year Wing you have. The 4 bangers don't need the exhaust removed to remove the starter. I never did one on a 6, so I can't say.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ohhh see i never would have guessed...I kinda thought it was putting two on there and then wrenching both at the same time (see why I asked, didnt seem like it would work)

Its a 1987 gl1200 Interstate. Ill go try that. Worst case, I break off the stud and get the starter out though, right? Thanks!
If the exhaust is off you should be able to grab the stud with a pair of vice-grips and turn it out. They are not in there that tight.

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.