Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How hard is it to replace a defective starter on this bike? Mechanically "RECLINED" but time challanged. Just your opinions.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Remove the shift lever. Take off the power cable. Remove the two bolts that hold the starter in. Pull the starter towards the front of the bike a little. Jiggle and twist in just the right order to remove out the side of the bike. Piece of cake. 15 minuites. 5 with practice.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I even found that I could tie the shift lever in the up position therefore reducing the step of taking it off.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

One BIG!!! warning do not spin the stud that the positive cable is on..if you do you will break the connection inside..it can be fixed but it's a PITA>

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Yes, it is a fairley easy job. Biggest problem I had on my 82 was the bottom bolt. Had to grind down a box end wrench to slip up from the bottom of the bike to break loose that bolt. Once broken loose then I used a wobble extension with a socket( 8mm) ? to take it out. You DON"T want to round off the head of that bottom bolt!!! You'll have a real problem then. Just take your time and think it out.:)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

dont forget to disconnect the battery

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

done this loads of times. I remove the exhaust down pipes to make it easier. Yes be very careful with the stud on the starter. It is very easy to sheer. If you take it off and it spins round its broken. If so find a good electric motor repair shop. Its about 40.00 pounds sterling for a rebuild. If the botton stud on the fixings to the motor breaks don,t worry mine is still in with only one reating bolt. also put it on it's side stand it helps getting it back in again. The little gear on a chain inside flops towards the left and it's easier to get the motor back in. you won't be able to knock the gear off the chain. Thats too hard to do with this manover.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.