Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads but my case is a little different. I keep my bike on a trickle charger in the winter and usually start it weekly. A couple of weeks ago I gave the throttle a twist, set the choke, and pushed the starter button. The starter motor ran but it was not engaged and not turning the engine over. I know a solenoid engages the starter on automobiles but am not certain the mechanical engagement of the starter on the Wing. If it is indeed a solenoid, which one would that be? I did this a couple of times before the starter engaged and I got the engine started. Help on this would be appreciated because I don't want to get stranded somewhere and not being able to get going. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
i do believe you`ll find this is a common thing with older wings in cold weather.
problem being that the locking rollers don't lock. due to wear , crud , low battery charge, or too heavy oil weight for the temperature. this is a bunch of the common problems that cause this.
might be a good time to plan on a sea faom treatment this spring.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
When my 84 did that, I bought a rebuild kit on fleabay, then took the whole shebangy to a local auto electric guy. New bushings, clean lube, etc., spins like a madman.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I think racingbanker16 has a GL1500, hard to make out the avatar on my iphone. If it is a 1500, I don't believe they suffer generally from spinning starters.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
For whatever it's worth about 35 years ago my 1st bike was a Honda CB750 four and I also would start in once in the while in the winter until my neighbor who was a harley mechanic saw me and asked me why I was starting it so I told him and he said I was not helping the bike but hurting it, he said once you park it unless you're going to ride it to full operating temperature don't start it. I don't remember all the reasons why now but I think it was torture on your starter, gummed up carbs and caused the exhaust to rot and the pressure on the cold seals was bad among other things.

Now when I park my bike in the fall here is what I do.
#1.....Suspend the insurance
#2.....Put about 10 ounces of seafoam in the tank and top it off.
#3....Shut the petcock off and let it run until it quits and the carbs are empty.
I always plug mine to the trickle charger even during riding season and my cheapo batteries have gone 6+ years.

When it's time to ride again I just open the petcock and let it sit 10-15 mins and fire her up and I have been doing that with every bike I owned up until this point and have never had any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.