Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is the brown white wire supposed to be for the coils? On the wire diagram I see a brown white coming from the start/stop switch into both coils, yet from the start switch I have (actual gl 1k replacement) I have: y/r, 2 blk, blk/w, and blk/red.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Power goes from the Emergency Engine (Kill) Switch to the ignition coils.

Usually the start switch has the following wires:

1. Input power wire.

2. Output power (when button pressed) to the starter relay (yellow/red wire).

3. Input power for headlights.

4. Output power for headlights. (Does not have power when the starter button is pressed inward)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Headlight isn't getting power/hasn't functioned since I bought the bike. I've tested the bulb, works fine. I'm not be even seeing lights come on through the center thing where the ignition switch is anymore, nor has the starter switch turned the bike over yet, looking like I've got nothing wired correctly almost

·
Administrator
26,171 Posts
Is the brown white wire supposed to be for the coils? On the wire diagram I see a brown white coming from the start/stop switch into both coils, yet from the start switch I have (actual gl 1k replacement) I have: y/r, 2 blk, blk/w, and blk/red.
power to the coils is a black/white from the kill switch. the black to the start switch should be hot with the key on, red/yellow to the starter solenoid, black/red to the headlight dimmer switch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Could somebody draw me up a stupid-proof diagram of how I'm supposed to wire my coils and resistor to my starter switch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looking at the diagram with all the spaghetti that's on there has me stratchin muh head

·
Administrator
26,171 Posts
The coils do not connect to the start switch. They connect to the black/white wire from the kill switch. I agree on the spaghetti diagrams.

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Maybe this will help.

Hey Dennis. What do you think. I did this myself, freehand. LOL///:)

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
The coils do not connect to the start switch. They connect to the black/white wire from the kill swiotch. I agree on the spaghetti diagrams.
Dave,
The coils do kind of go to the start switch. When using the starter the current to the coils bypasses the ballast resistor. Like the old I terminal on old point type ignition solenoids. That is bypass the resistor while the starter is engaged.

·
Administrator
26,171 Posts
Dave,
The coils do kind of go to the start switch. When using the starter the current to the coils bypasses the ballast resistor. Like the old I terminal on old point type ignition solenoids. That is bypass the resistor while the starter is engaged.
I see that, it is not on the aftermarket diagram I have for 1000s. Thanks for that.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
I knew you were on top of it but just to avoid confusion I posted. For the most part you were right and the bike would probably even start fine without that circuit, As I said I only posted for clarity.

If you want to look at an OEM manusl go here. Kind of clumsy to find what you need but it is thhere and likely more accurate. And the price is right. :)

·
Administrator
26,171 Posts
I knew you were on top of it but just to avoid confusion I posted. For the most part you were right and the bike would probably even start fine without that circuit, As I said I only posted for clarity.

If you want to look at an OEM manusl go here. Kind of clumsy to find what you need but it is thhere and likely more accurate. And the price is right. :)
Thanks, I downloaded the manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maybe this will help.

Hey Dennis. What do you think. I did this myself, freehand. LOL///:)
View attachment 323762
This may be exactly what I needed, I'll see if I have the energy after work tonight, may not be a lot of hours but 7 days on is a bit tiring without having any relief. Still hoping my late night job will let me shift the hours I go in to clean so I can keep that income source

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Alright so, confusion persists with coils: blk wire with the white tags has some what appear to be brownish squares on them, there are two of these, one in the coil wiring and another in the main harnessing where the rest of the handlebar controls wire up, this would presumably be the blk/brown for the stop switch? I've of these two are for the ballast resistor I think then? There's also no blk/brown wire on the replacement right handlebar control assembly I bought and instead have two blk wires.

Also, there's this double/triple insert white/blk wire that I have no idea about, is this just a extra thing for accessories?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
View attachment 323791 View attachment 323792 View attachment 323793

Alright so, confusion persists with coils: blk wire with the white tags has some what appear to be brownish squares on them, there are two of these, one in the coil wiring and another in the main harnessing where the rest of the handlebar controls wire up, this would presumably be the blk/brown for the stop switch? I've of these two are for the ballast resistor I think then? There's also no blk/brown wire on the replacement right handlebar control assembly I bought and instead have two blk wires.

Also, there's this double/triple insert white/blk wire that I have no idea about, is this just a extra thing for accessories?
And also, first pic is blk/red right? Tried using a piece of paper to dilute background

·
Administrator
26,171 Posts
OK, you will have a black wire in the bundle of wires near the steering head that is hot with the key on, it goes to 1 end of the ballast resistor, black/brown from the resistor to the kill switch, black/white from the kill switch to the coils. A yellow red comes from the start button to one of the diodes on the left panel behind the false tank, out of the diode it ties into the black/brown to the kill switch. The other branch of the Y/R goes to the starter solenoid. The red/black is to the headlight circuit. (look at the diagram redwing52 posted) If you just match colors in that bundle of wires it should be good, some of the wires might not have a place to plug in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'll pay somebody 150$ if they can get here and get this wired properly, everything I try gets no response from starter switch

21 - 40 of 48 Posts