Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter Sprag Clutch - GL1100

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  coastrider 
#1 ·
I went to the garage this morning to ride to work. At 6:45 in was 37 degrees and the starter just spun. Every time I pushed the start button, nothing but spinning. I was thinking it was the cold weather, so I bump started it and rode to work. Then when I went to lunch... the same thing so I brought the bike home and rode the cage back to work after lunch. This evening when I got home, it spun again and the first press, but and then it caught and started.

Today I spent some time researching and when it started this eveing, I confirmed by suspicion: the starter clutch. It is time for an oil change so I am going to dump some Seafoam in and ride a tank of gas through the bike and then change the oil.

My question: Do I put Delo 400 back in or should it be some lighter weight oil?

#4 ·
You are going to put seafoam in the oil and ride it easily?? Many have done that to clean internals. Some feel it helps keep the stators cleaner and therefore run cooler. Some use atf and even a little diesel fuel. Obviously, you need to ride them easily.

#6 ·
I just wanted to update this thread for future reference. Dropped some Seafoam into the crankcase, and also the gas tank while I was at it, and rode the tank of gas through it today. I got home, changed the oil and so far it is starting fine, even tonight with temps in the low 50's. Tomorrow morning will be the next test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.