Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings all...hoping some of you can help me out.
Went for a normal ride last night...stopped for an appointment...came out an hour later to fire up the bike and the starter would not dis-engage.
Tapped on the starter...no good...finally put her in gear and moved her forward a bit and it finally dis-engaged...and rode home...thinking it was just a glitch.
Today, cleaned everything up on the starter circuity...hit the starter button only to have the button stick in.
Cleaned the switches up with contact cleaner...that seems okay now...except she will start with just the key without hitting the start button and the starter is still engaged.
Thoughts??? Is it possible that starter relay contacts are not releasing...or do you think the issue is really with the starter button...or even the starter itself???
I had this starter rebuilt a year ago.
Bike has 215,000 kms...until now has not let me down.
Also...if it is the starter button...what kind of headache is it, to change out the handlebar switches??
I remember building a 750 Honda chopper back in the 70's and seem to recall lots of Tylenol, when it came to the handlebar switches.
Sorry for the long thread...thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I'm relatively certain the relay is not at fault. It requires an ignition signal and a ground to engage. Since the problem only exists with the key "on", it's a safe bet you have a bad starter switch/circuit. If it were just the relay, it would stay engaged with the key Off.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you glhonda for your prompt reply...however, some new drama.
Before, I was off to bed...I thought I'd try replacing the starter relay with a spare in the garage, that I thought was good...I just couldn't remember.
I completely disconnected the battery.
Now, a new development, or no development, I should say.
Now, I have no power anywhere...nothing turns on at all...completely dead.
Thought that somehow, the main fuse blew...but, it's a spade fuse in a marine sealed fuse holder.
Wondering now if it is somehow the ignition switch???
Except I did notice as I was checking the main fuse that the positive connection at the relay was sparking some just by itself...that didn't seem right to me...so I've just disconnected the battery and going to call it the night.
If you and others want to shoot some ideas my way...by all means, I would welcome them very much.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that the start button itself may be at fault. The fact that it was sticking in is suspect.

When problem occurs pull 4 pin black connector at start solenoid. If starter quits check yellow/red wirefor power coming from start switch. If it's presentwith start button released then that's likely the problem.

When a switch gets sticky most of us reach for WD40 or Electric contact cleaner and spray it on the switch without disassembling.

Neither wayis correct. WD40 leaves residue that can compound the problem. Contact cleaner, while ok on metal is bad for plastic and rubber (switches are made up of all 3).

I'm guilty of same-usually if I'm trying to shortcut an actual repair I will reach for WD40. I know that disassembling the switch is inevitable anywayand that I will need to clean the residue WD leaves behind but I feel this is less damaging to switch 'housing'. I only use contact cleaner if switch is disassembled and avoid getting it on plastic so as not to deform it. Best to spray on a swab and wipe the contacts.

P.S. As I was typing this post you listed that you installed 2nd solenoid and now have no power. Main dogbone 30 amp fuse is housed inside solenoid.Is the replacement solenoid missing this main fuse or has it been modified. The stock setup is a 30 amp main fuse under cover on solenoid itself and a secondary 'inline' 30 amp fuse just behind the battery.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

If the start switch were stuck the headlight would not come on when released. Check the wires above the plug on the solenoid. They may have melted together.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Check the starter solenoid.
Check the start switch .
If its starting with key only , i would go for the start switch first .
Hang something underneath the switch to catch any small pieces that might fall out when you dissasemble the start switch.
The switch has some very small pieces inside and is probably just dirty or the small springs need to be stretched back to normal.
Let us know what you find / need and we will talk you through it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.