Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?I went to start up the bike this morning after it was sitting for about 2 weeks. The first try at cranking was normal, but the battery was starting to run down after about the 3rd time at starting (cranking about 5 sec each try). The fourth time, she started up when I let go of the switch (heard about GW's doing this with a weak battery). My problem started when I put it in gear with the side stand down. The bike shut off like it should, I put the stand up, and tried to start again. The starter woud not dis-engage when I released the switch, so I immediately turned off the ignition.... Guess what.... the starter was still "engaged" and turning over the motor. Needless to say, the battery went dead within 30 sec. So I figure I'll just jump start it with another small utility battery that I have... Guess what... as soon as I touched the + cable to the bike battery, the starter is still engaged and won't turn off (key is still in "off" position.) ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE *&%$ IS GOING ON HERE ??? :X

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I agree with ob1quixote. might try giving the solinoid a rap or two with a hammer.might have sticksion issues.,,,

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The starter could operateeven if the key is off?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I"ll try the hammer tap.... I just don't like to beat up my girl:shock:I won't be able to get to it 'til later. I'll post what happens or if I need more help.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

When starting engine the starter solenoid is direct connection from battery postive to starter post. If contacts weld shut (closed) voltage will have straight path from battery to starter until cable disconnected at battery or solenoid. As mentioned tapping the solenoid can cause it to break contact as it is spring loaded. Even if it does release itis time to replace it. Once it welds closed even from a low voltage condition the contactspots in the solenoid are burned and rough makingit prone to stick again when ever the spots line up. Very hard on battery and starter to leave it connected after it runs the battery down. :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Yes...like Keno said, they can weld shut or "stick" and the starter will still turn.
I had this happen on a 1990 Ford F-150 with that big ole' six cylinder. I had replaced the solenoid with one from Auto Zone and it was sticking. Bought one from NAPA and that cured the problem.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well, when i got home, I tapped the starter a couple of times then hooked up the batt. It did not engage, tried the start button, and she started right up. This morning it worked as normal. I guess it just got stuck due to the low batt condition. I'll take your advise and change out the solenoid just to be sure. Thanks everyone for all your help :action:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Theres a good chance it has done what you said, it has not had a good charge enough to enrgise properly and sparked as the contacts got close, the contacts will probably have damage on so it is advisable to replace the solenoid asap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.