Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, Just a question - Where can I get a switch assembly at a resonable price and can a novice replace this or should I take it to the dealer? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What year is the bike? If under warranty go see the dealer, they can do it in about two hours. Otherwise you go to your choice of afermarket OEM parts places, such as bike bandit, or hondadirectparts and order one. I forget exactly how much they cost but you have to purchase that whole one side assembly, somewhere between 130 and 150 dollars.

You do have to undo the handgrip, throttle cables and so on and the front fairing, that is where it all plugs in.

Kit

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have an 02. In the upper desert there is not much in he way of reputable bike shops. I am not opposed to trying myself as long as I have all he required tools. Is there any special tool required to remove the hand grips and flarings? especially the snaps on the housing?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would recommend that you purchase a manual for the bike, it will save a lot of time and most likely damage to the plastic parts of the bike. Although no special tools are required, and it is all easy it is time consuming and quite confusing if you have never taken all the plastic off one of these bikes.

Just regular hand tools, will be all you will need. Not sure what you mean by snaps, but the decorative covers on the brake master cylinder just pull off , if they have not fallen off already, and the little push pin snaps in the left and right covers, you just push the center of them in and they pop up and you remove them, the other ones you pull the center part out and the rivet removes.

To get started you will on each side of the upper shelter, at the bottom gently pull the two one inch trim strips out and up pulling from the inside to the out at the bottom and they will snap off, then you will see fasteners, take them out, the shelter comes off, unplug all the wires and it is out of your way, ......then the center then the front fairing and suspend it out of your way......

Then you just take the switch assembly loose, do not worry about its position as it has a location pin in the housing for re-assembly, take the inside cover off the handlbar, follow the wires to the pin plug up under the front fairing and radiator....unplug the old, install the new and re-assemble.

The grip comes off easy enough with a fastener in the inside housing, the throttle cables simply fasten with regular T pins in the housing, not too bad, but with anything on these bikes there is two hours of getting stuff out of your way to do the job.

Oh and you have to remove the seat first.......everything you do to one of these bikes you have to remove the seat:D:DThat seat should be on a flip hinge with a pull pin. :grinner: See you cannot get the shelter off until the seat is out of the way.

A manual will walk you through each step, none of it hard, but very confusing if you have never done it before.

The first time I brought this 1800 home I looked at it and was totally at a loss. But it is easy, but for sure a manual is mandatory.

Kit

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Kit,

Thanks for the info. I was planning on buying a manual and I have downloaded the ones from this site. My biggest fear is either breaking a piece of plastic or getting it apart and then being lost. If it is a couple hours it will be an all day job for me.

I will look further and then decide.

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not let it scare you. Actually quite simple once you understand it. First time I checked the steering head bearing, it was a two hour job for me too, first time I wanted to install the CB I looked at that bike and LORD!!:D But the plastic comes off easy, once you understand it.

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.