Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I have NO idea what is causing this, but my new starter will NOT seat back in the motor. I mean, it fits, but it will not seat in the gear. It seems that the gear is off center on the hole by almost 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch. It is on the side stand, the chain turns one direction freely, I have put the old O-ring on the starter, and it still just won't go. Anyone have any advice on what the heck I am missing? This is really upsetting me, and I am kind of at a loss.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Try a big magnet at the back of the cover, it will move the sprocket enough so that the starter can catch.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

In my experience it's a lot of wiggling and juggling sometimes in one minute sometimes it's 30??..Stick your finger in there and make sure the gear is all the way over..us a small mirror and flash light to see if it looks like it's kind of centered in the opening.

frustrating..yep..turn the start end a bit

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Are you on level ground!
Even on the side stand as it should be,,, you may need to reposition the bike .

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Your Wing might be leaning too far on the sidestand, they all settle down differently depending on how high the suspension is pumped up. Try putting a bit of wood under the sidestand so the Wing is still leaning but not so far over as now, that should allow the sprocket and chain to move a bit back to the centre. Just make sure someone has a finger in the sprocket while you are putting the wood under the stand.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Yep, the angle is everything. If you are trying this on the center stand you will have a HUGE problem getting it in there. The bike has to be on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Get a flash light and look at the sprocket hanging on the starter chain; should be at the center. They are correct about the angle. I found the stock side stand sufficient to move to the left, but maybe your's goes too far left.

Just for giggles, try to insert the stater without the o-ring.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

I've changed the starter on 2 1100s and I think had one of them out twice and did them on the center stand and they went right in. Did you try the sprocket on the starter splines before you tried to put it in? If it's a new starter and came with a new sprocket use it. You can reach in with a screwdriver and lift the sprocket out of the chain.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

DaveO you beat me to it . We recently replaced a starter on a KawasakiUtility vehichle . The starter did come with a new sproket because of a vendor change . The spline was slightly different.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You shold also check the splines on the starter for damage as the metal is very soft and can be easily knicked. If the spline endsare in fact damaged you can restore them carefully with a small fine 3 cornered file.

Vic

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I couldn't get mine in by hand........... had to use a small pyrbar or large screwdriver to pry/push it in. No way would it go in with the o-ring on by hand. Oil up the
o-ring too.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

The new Oring may be hanging up making you feel like the splines arent lining up. Try as suggested before. Try with no oring. Then if you get it right do it again with the O rig and give it a humph. I used a small prybar on mine with gentle levergae and it slid in nicely.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I guess I should have been more specific. It seems like the sprockett is too high, not off to either side.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Stinky. i used grease to hold the sprocket in place once. I dabbed a glob of grease to hold it in place but still had a heck of a time putting it in.
The first starter I reinstalled i swore left and right that something was damage and it was just the O Ring making it too tight

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Did you put a light coat of oil on the "O"ring? When I installed my starter Jan '08 I also put a little oilon the lip of the case and it only took 15-20 minutes for installation of the starter which I purchased from Stocker's Starters Inc.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I had a tough time removing my stater, I had to pry it out of the gear. Before trying to reinstall it I placed the bike on the side stand and carefully removed the sprocket from the engine taking note which side was facing the stater opening, then tried to install the gear on the starter splines. It was very tight and would not slide on.
I used a small triangler file and cleaned the splines on the starter and the gear of burrs and varnish until the gear would slide on to the starter splines with out much force. I then reinstalled the gear to the motor carefull to place it in the correct or way, then installed the starter with out much force.
Hope this helps, Shimmy.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

Had this problem with a new replacement starter on my 1982 GL1100. Had to use the old sprocket on the new starter. This was after 2 days of trying to get the new starter in. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

I just took it out of my 81 while waiting for replacement. It was on the center stand and I had to move the bike after for garage space. when I now put it on the side stand oil started coming out of opening. Is this Normal?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

If you are installing a new starter with the chain gear that came with it there is something you need to do before you install it.

Take the two chain gears, the original one as well as the one that came with the new starter and hold them so that the gears themselves are against each other. Make sure that both gears are EXACTLY the same size. I bought an after market starter and the chaingear was just slightly larger than the old, just enough so that it wouldn't fit in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.