Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok new problem solenoid clicks probably starter. Any advice on starter replacement. I have no manual but have heard of chains and gear dropping into motor. I don't want to screw up . Please advise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Hey Artmann...someone far more knowledgeable will be along soon, but if you search "starter", lots of info on removal (I believe it's as easy as 2 bolts, hold shift lever down, and pull starter back while bike is on sidestand...don't move bike/run engine at this point as starter cog could move, making reinstallation mission impossible).

If you put 12 volts on the starter, bypassing the relay, does it turn? Just curious, as it could be bad contacts in the relay.

Guru's will be along shortly I'm sure!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Before condemming the starter jump from the battery + directly to the terminal on the starter. If nothing happens then the starter needs attention. If it works then the solinoid will be the problem.

Remove the cable from the starter being careful to hold the terminal (Don't let the bolt spin). Remove the two bolts holding the starter. You will need a universal joint for one of them. Then pull the starter out. It will take some wiggling but it will come out without removing anything else though I can't say if that applies with footboards. Once the starter is out don't move anything and the gear and chain should stay in position.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Geez! I got so busy doing the carbs that I forgot to close the starter issue out. Well I did pull the starter, actually it was much easier than I expected. If you use a ujoint on the bolt behind the header it goes quick. Brushes were worn to a nub and not making decent contact also the starter was so full of carbon it required a complete disassembly and cleaning. I used brake cleaner for that and replacedbrushes and emery paper for the commutator and armature and now all is well. !!! Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.