Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion on starter that just spins.Tried the change oil and filter. Pull to start, starts great few time, sets over night back to just spins. Hate to pull engine replace springs and dogs.(last resort). Anybody tried heater dipstick, light bulb someway heating oil? I'm 85, to old to think about pulling engine. lol 1982 GL1100

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
What weight & type oil are you using?

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Try a multi grade 10w30 or 10w40 but be sure it doesn't have friction modifiers. Little circle on the back of the bottle should have nothing in the bottom of the circle, if it says energy conserving don't use it.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
I suggest that you use Rotella T6 5w40,
a pure synthetic that does NOT have Friction Modifiers

that will clean out the goo in the starter clutch.

it has an additional advantage also, only $22/gallon

·
Premium Member
12,838 Posts
Did you try adding a bit of "SeaFoam" to the oil and riding a hundred or so miles then change the oil ? The Sea Foam can sometimes help clean the sprague clutch and get back in working order. You could add that in the SAE 30 oil now then change to the multigrade.
SeaFoam will have some instructions as to how much to add. I am thinking its around 4OZ. for the volume of oil in the Goldwing.

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suggest that you use Rotella T6 5w40,
a pure synthetic that does NOT have Friction Modifiers

that will clean out the goo in the starter clutch.

it has an additional advantage also, only $22/gallon
I did the Rotella it did the trick, can you leave it in or should I change it? Thanks a bunch.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
I did the Rotella it did the trick, can you leave it in or should I change it? Thanks a bunch.
Yes you can leave it in.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
Score another "Fix it" for T6 5w40, you are about the 5th person to report great success with problems that needed to be fixed....
Nice to just do an Oil Change and all is well again, huh? (y)

·
Registered
588 Posts
All these old Hondas were designed for basic mineral oil and not these modern ones. Fleet use diesel engine oil of 10w40 or 15w40 is ideal as it still has one of the additives that our old gearboxes need

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
All these old Hondas were designed for basic mineral oil and not these modern ones. Fleet use diesel engine oil of 10w40 or 15w40 is ideal as it still has one of the additives that our old gearboxes need
Those old specs were designed for oils that existed "then".
guarantee you that today's synthetics work a lot better.

Proved that with two of my Goldwings, and with my 2001 Suburban.
with the truck, it used a quart of oil with every tank of gasoline used....
the Oil Low light would pop up if I did not top it off at every gas fill up....

then I switched to full synthetic oils, first Mobil-1 as that is what seemed to be on the grocery store shelves/gas stations.

then when I got home, I switched to Rotella T6 10w30... and it quit using oil ???

Drove from home to Dayton, OH and back home without adding any oil....
that is about 4 full tanks of gas, 740 miles one way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts