Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
thinking of posting my trike build on here and i have 2 questions
1 if i don"t post every day how do i stop it from disappearing in to the maze of pages for my next postings.2 how do i post pictures on here.thanks glenn uk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ok problem 2 solved.the above picture is the very beginning of my trike build.yes this is how she came with boxes of bits. hadn't run since 2002 put second hand fuel pump, petcock and removed bank-angle sensor and she runs like a dream.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

ok how do i do that tom?
thanks glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

in 2days i turned it from above pic to this just to see what i had and what was missing then sold the rear end parts i didnt need to help fund the project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

Looks pretty scary for sure without any clothes on! :shock: That's pretty much how mine started out before restoration. Best of luck with your project! This site is a great resource. I'll be following along.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Wow kinda makes me want to look for a 1500 with damaged tupperware make a cool naked wing.
wilf

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

ok as i have now had the wing 8 weeks and is a lot further on i will try to bring you all up to date as time and work allows me to.after striping the rear end. i cut the saddle bag frames off and set about working out the basics how long and wide is she going to be.what axle to use i came to the conclusion that i wanted the axle to run in line with the differential so that ment the axle would have to be cut and off set to the right. i will cover this at a later date.at this part of the build its fun because your dreaming what your going to build you have a blank canvas just waiting for you to be artistic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ok the next stage was to find an axle after looking a round i saw a Suzuki sj 4x4 one was off set and the ratio had been used by a USA trike company.after phoning around i found one and at first measure. it looked a perfect fit for the off set of the differential. when i got it home it needed trimming by 50mm on the left side but when i removed the left shaft i noticed the shaft could not be re splined that close to the original ones. but thanks to the 4x4 guys on the difflock site they told me there was a 50mm shorter shaft that was used on another sj and another guy had one that i could have for the cost of the postage (panic over) i set about building the rear swinging arm as you can see i used the front of the original so i could retain all the original bearing mounts
the art to building stuff like this is to tack weld every thing till you know it all works.as you can see from the pictures the shaft will run through the swinging
arm. note the shaft in the pic is for set up only the true one will have more clearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

swingingarm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

rear view

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

I see a lot of thought out design and hard work so far. Well done!:applause:

What kind of steel tubing are you using? How are you cutting those really nice fish mouths?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

thanks for the comments poolguy.i used 60mm x 3mm wall tube could probably used thinner wall but when its free from work you have to make the odd sacrifice.
the swinging arm weighs about 9lb heavier than standard goldwing one.i cut the inner fish mouths with a 60mm hole saw on a pedestal drill you could do it with a normal drill and a vice but drill half way from both sides.the outer ones i did free hand with a small grinder .if you want more photos or info feel free to ask
glenn /uk

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

more swinging arm photos

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

thanks for that steve and i will try to keep updating it as much as i can to keep people up to date with the build
glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Woohoo! Another build. I love these threads. Keep the pics coming and good luck with the project. That first pic with all her insides showing was a little disturbing.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

next i fabricated the shocker and axle mounts .the shockers will be replaced with progressive 412s when they arrive. the air shock will be relocated centrally behind the other 2 shocks.i will cover these mounts later.i mounted the axle to the swinging arm.the key here is to use lots of reference points to make sure you square it up right .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.