Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i had my 1977 GL1000 in storage for the past couple of months and had it fully serviced and new timing belts fitted before i put it away for the winter, i purchased a new battery and had it fired up and running there last week then, at the weekend went to fire it up again and she ran for a few seconds about 30 seconds and then died, then i let hersit for a few minutes and went to restart the there was a huge bang from the engine ? any idea what happened ? i'm afraid to go starting again incase i do more damage

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a backfire due to lack of fuel in the chamber ?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . I am sorry to hear of the problems . I would pull the plugs and then remove the cap on the alternator cover ...left rear side of engine . I think it uses a 17mm wrench . Inside that cap is a bolt head which can be used to turn the engine , be sure to turn it only in the clockwise direction . If it turns , rotate the engine thru several times . IF you find no resistance then I would try to take compression readings . I am thinking possibly a valve stuck open and was struck by the piston :(, though I hope thats not the case for you .

Ahh reread your post and seeing its a 77 , you could use your kick start lever to turn the engine .

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i'll try starting again when i get home,,, i have a full tank and had the fuel tap opened and i turned the trottle a couple of times and choke out,,

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

dont have the kick start, but will check your option out tomorrow when i get home, i dont like the sound of a stuck valve sounds expensive, thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.