Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it bad on any parts? Pros & Conson this. Which is the faster Time??? Thanks for any replys, Lee

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is best you start out in first gear. Especially riding two up or with a heavy load.....as using second does wear the clutch faster.....not that that is a big job to replace the discs.......just does tend to wear them faster.......as does some of the stuff I do such as running the cones in second and one foot on the brake and slipping the clutch.....

I think it best to start in first gear and just immediately go to second......saves wear and tear on the bike. Kit

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

Thesafety couse taught us to always end up in first and stay there when stopped. If you had to accelerate to get out of the way of something you would be ready for it.

I see using second gear asone bad habit. Then you develop a second then a third and so on. At some point it bites you in the butt.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
It is best you start out in first gear. Especially riding two up or with a heavy load.....
So I guess my 300+pounds better start off in 1st gear always :weightlifter:

Best Regards, Ray

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was just wonder, I had couple truck that had Granny's 1 st gears, used to start in 2nd. I did used them much for loads, just back & fore. Then I bought station wagons, instead of trucks, that way could throw in 2x4's or fishing rods & etc.. I also bought small 4x8 trailer, for haul larger loads.

I found a good deal last year on trailer for gold-wing, but did have hitch for it. I bought a hitch for it, over hauling the trailer, new paint,lights & some mods. I going threw my bike, so that I know what shape all parts are in, plus some camping equipment. I'm on SS, so it take some time put everything together, I have time now,get to know my bike. Thanks for the Info, Lee

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Seems my brain gets left in the sock drawer sometimes .......I think as mentioned to sit at the stop lights and intersections in 1st gear is a great safety practice. I do this all the time.....just do it automatically so I forgot to say anything about it. The practice has saved me at least once.

You know how sometimes you will be following a vehicle and they do not see the stoplight up ahead? So they get halfway through the intersection and slam on the brakes....well this white pickup did that......I was watching him real close.......he put the truck into reverse and backed up......foot on the brake and still in reverse. I slowly backed the bike up away from him......the car behind me followed in real close about six inches from my rear fender.....sure enough when the light changed he floored it.....truck was still in reverse:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: I went to the left of the truck into the center median.....there was broken plastic and headlights all over the place, the cars hood flew up and steam rolled out.........big suprise to both drivers....neither one paying attention.....

Sometimes they are on the cell phone or simply not paying attention......I see them come up to a stop occasionally and slam into the back of the car in front of them......one did this the other day to a big yellow school bus..........if they do not see a big yellow school bus ......they are not going to see me....no matter how many modulator lights I have.........so it is wise to sit in gear.....and be very watchful. Kit

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

as my wife would tell me................I have brain farts (sounds nicer that calling me a dumb ass):D.

I've had times that I've gone to pull away with wife on the back and trailer behind the bike.

• 2nd gear doesn't work so good
  • 3rd gear words even worse (how do I know??????????)
Never mind.

1st gear at all times for me (when I remember) :baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

AMEN brother! I have always done that. The idea of sitting at a light in neutral scares the hell out of me...:shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.