Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been reading past post and figured Imay have a switch problem, either nuetral switch or clucth switch.

I have an 82 GL1100 Aspencade, when I am in nuetral the nuetral light does not come on, but when I hit the starter button the light comes on and the bike won't start. If I pull in the clutch and push the starter button, the nuetral light comes on and the bike does not start. If I put the bike in first gear and roll forward, then shift back into nuetral most of the time I can get it started. the problem is getting worse and this is my transportation for the time being.

what would be the easiest to check and replace? or could this be another problem?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi when you say wont start is the engine turning over or just wont crank

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

More info would be helpful. Does the neutral light come on after you shift into gear and then back to neutral? Does the oil pressure warning light and the tail and front marker lights work normally? Has it been like this since you have owned it or did it happen suddenly?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you try to crank and it wont turn over, Put a lil down or up force on your shifter and see if it begins to crank. not enough force to change gears but enough to move your shifter a bit.

If it than begins to crank, you have a touchy neutral safety switch or it is set just off the shifters resting spot.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'll bet you have a defective neutral switch ordiode.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Try jumping the two wires that come out of the clutch perch, just pull the connectors off and jump with a piece of wire..if that solves the problem it's most likely the contacts right there, the switch in the perch or the diode that feeds the switch.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

Don't you just love it when a person joins the forum, asks a question then disappears. There should be an abandoned thread forum for these with Dave in the ditch as a sticky to see if it can be topped.
I studied Meanwing's problem and the way I see it is 3 things have to be happening to cause the problem described.
1, the neutral switch is not working.
2, the clutch switch does not work.
3, there is no power to the neutral light until the start button is pushed and power feeds through the solenoid, since it's not grounded by the neutral switch or clutch switch so power back feeds through the circuit to the neutral light which is provided ground by the other lights in the circuit because they have no power either as they are on the same fuse as the neutral light.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
Don't you just love it when a person joins the forum, asks a question then disappears. There should be an abandoned thread forum for these with Dave in the ditch as a sticky to see if it can be topped.
I studied Meanwing's problem and the way I see it is 3 things have to be happening to cause the problem described.
1, the neutral switch is not working.
2, the clutch switch does not work.
3, there is no power to the neutral light until the start button is pushed and power feeds through the solenoid, since it's not grounded by the neutral switch or clutch switch so power back feeds through the circuit to the neutral light which is provided ground by the other lights in the circuit because they have no power either as they are on the same fuse as the neutral light.
Yup, I agree. There is likely more than one problem here. Either that, or someone has messed with the wiring and got something crossed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sorry guys!! went out of town for the holiday and did not have access to check back. thank you for all your replies.

the bike won't turn over, the head light goes dim when you push the strart button. the neutral light only comes on when this problem occurs, any other time I can not get the neutral light to come on. I have only owned the bike for 3 months and it started happening shortly after I bought. I will try the to jump the clutch switch as suggested and thanks again for you help.

Thanks,

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.