Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve,

I am brand new to your forum, very first post. I have a 2008 GL1800 with Hannigan Conversion. Bike only has 9200 miles on it. The bike looka like it rolled off the showroom floor. It has been in storage for a while, however, I was starting it at least twice a month to keep everything moving. I recently moved and have been busy with the new house. I have started the bike several times since I moved to the new house and the bike started right up, no issues at all. Last week I went to start the bike and all it would do is crank. I just replaced the battery yesterday. I checked the FI relay by switching it with another relay, still no start, then I switched out the fuel pump relay and still no start again. All of the fuses have been checked and all appear to be good. Moved the main wire harness around a little bit thinking that might have been an issue, no dice. When I turn the ignition to "on", I can hear a relay click on and off before I push the start button. I have run out of ideas. Tried calling a local Honda Dealer here in town, all they want is for me to bring the bike in and let it sit until they get a chance to look at for a $100 P/HR. I need help fixing this issue. What ever help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Investigator

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
The relay you hear click on and off is the fuel pump relay, if you listen close you should hear the pump run for that same time period. Look for the FI light to come on then go off at the same time also. If the pump runs, the FI light comes on and off the most likely problem is the crankshaft sensor located behind the front engine cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

Thank you for your response. Next question, how difficult is it to get to and make the repair? I have owned Gold Wings since 1980, this is my 5th Wing and have never had so much as a Hick up on any of the bikes until this one. Please advise.

Thanks

Investigator

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I doubt that it is a actual part failure with only 9,200 miles on the trike. This is a 12 year old trike now. When was the last time it was driven on the road? How was trike stored? No alcohol type fuel I hope. Was something like Sea Foam added to gas for storage? These Gold Wings really don`t like to be parked for long periods of time. I would think more along the lines of fuel pressure regulator valve needing replaced. I might try starting it with jumper cables to be sure you have all the power you need to get going. CAR ENGINE MUST NOT BE RUNNING. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO CONNECTING CABLES.
I have also seen what rodents can do to electric wiring on a Gold Wing..
gumbyred

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
First you have to determine if it's the problem. Since it is a trike it is harder. You have to find the wires to the side stand switch and connect the yellow/black to the green wire. Then turn the key on and press the start button for at least 10 seconds, if there is a code in the system the FI light will start to blink. Count the blinks, a long blink is 10 and short blinks are 1, as in 1 long and 8 short is the crank sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt that it is a actual part failure with only 9,200 miles on the trike. This is a 12 year old trike now. When was the last time it was driven on the road? How was trike stored? No alcohol type fuel I hope. Was something like Sea Foam added to gas for storage? These Gold Wings really don`t like to be parked for long periods of time. I would think more along the lines of fuel pressure regulator valve needing replaced. I might try starting it with jumper cables to be sure you have all the power you need to get going. CAR ENGINE MUST NOT BE RUNNING. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO CONNECTING CABLES.
I have also seen what rodents can do to electric wiring on a Gold Wing..
gumbyred
I put a brand new battery in the trike yesterday. One thing I forgot to mention, I held the throttle wide open and turned the engine over for 3-4 seconds, turned the key off and could smell gas coming out of the pipes. I would assume that there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump? The bike has been sitting for sometime, about two years in Florida where I previously lived up until December 2019, however, I started the bike every month without fail, got it good and hot, ran through all the gears. I put a gas stabilizer in the bike every 6 months, ran all the gas out and always put new gas in. When it wouldn't start here last week, I looked in the gas tank and saw that there was very little gas in the tank. I put 2 gallons of fresh fuel in the bike (Shell regular). The bike started and ran fine up until last week. I have never had to jump a Wing before, is there a trick to it? How do I check the fuel pressure regulator valve and where is it located? I am trying to avoid, at all costs, taking the bike to the Honda dealer here in Tennessee and paying someone $100 p/hr. Also, I do not want to just throw parts at the bike in hopes of fixing the problem. This is not the first Wing I have had to store for extended periods of time, but I have always taken the necessary precautions to store it properly and they all have always started up with no issues. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is my first Wing that has given me a problem.

Thank you

Investigator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First you have to determine if it's the problem. Since it is a trike it is harder. You have to find the wires to the side stand switch and connect the yellow/black to the green wire. Then turn the key on and press the start button for at least 10 seconds, if there is a code in the system the FI light will start to blink. Count the blinks, a long blink is 10 and short blinks are 1, as in 1 long and 8 short is the crank sensor.
What happened to the switch when the bike was trike'd? Is located on the left side where the side stand used to be? This trike has a Hannigan Conversion on it with the full ground effects on it which means it runs all the way to the gray front cover. I When I tried starting it earlier today, I opened the throttle all the way and then cranked the engine over for about three seconds, then turned the key off. I could smell gas fumes coming from the rear of the trike. I am working with a big disadvantage as teh trike sits very low to the ground and I can't see under the bike at all and the ground effects are making it hard also.

Thanks

Investigator

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
How do I check the fuel pressure regulator valve and where is it located?

Thank you

Investigator
Don't worry about the fuel pressure regulator, they NEVER go bad.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
What happened to the switch when the bike was trike'd? Is located on the left side where the side stand used to be? This trike has a Hannigan Conversion on it with the full ground effects on it which means it runs all the way to the gray front cover. I When I tried starting it earlier today, I opened the throttle all the way and then cranked the engine over for about three seconds, then turned the key off. I could smell gas fumes coming from the rear of the trike. I am working with a big disadvantage as teh trike sits very low to the ground and I can't see under the bike at all and the ground effects are making it hard also.

Thanks

Investigator
If you take the left engine cover off the switch or the wires for it should be accessible. If you can't do it the way I described the dealer has the diagnostic tool, only option.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator valves never go bad as long as they are driven regularly.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator valves never go bad as long as they are driven regularly.
I have been working on fuel injection since 1981 and have NEVER seen a bad fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you take the left engine cover off the switch or the wires for it should be accessible. If you can't do it the way I described the dealer has the diagnostic tool, only option.
Dave,

What engine cover are you talking about? Is it the cover that looks like a valve cover with the crash bars near them or is it the side cover where the battery is housed which is where the side stand and center stand would have been located near?

Thanks

Investigator

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Dave,

What engine cover are you talking about? Is it the cover that looks like a valve cover with the crash bars near them or is it the side cover where the battery is housed which is where the side stand and center stand would have been located near?

Thanks

Investigator
The chrome cover above the foot rest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The chrome cover above the foot rest.
Dave,
First off, I want to thank you for taking time out of your days to help me out. I just came in from turning the engine over for about 12 seconds, and no code or light came on the dash. I mentioned yesterday that I had a raw gas smell that came out the back of the bike after I cranked the engine with the throttle held wide open, did that for 2-3 seconds. What next? The only Honda Dealer here in town apparently works on all types of bikes. They supposedly have a Gold Wing tech on staff. The fact that they will not let me talk to him and pick his brain a little bit is a concern. A lot of the businesses here in Tennessee are not known for having honest and knowledgeable people working for them and price gouging and dishonest practices are quite prevalent also. I have only been here since December 2019 and unfortunately have experienced a lot of problems with the business sector. I have performed a number of tests and have come to a dead end on all of them. This bike has not sat to much longer than the other Wing's I have owned. I moved from the Midwest where the riding season is very short, so the bikes have sat in storage a lot longer. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why the trike has started and drove perfectly since I have owned the trike. Any other ideas here will be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Investigator

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
Dave,
First off, I want to thank you for taking time out of your days to help me out. I just came in from turning the engine over for about 12 seconds, and no code or light came on the dash.
As I already mentioned it will not give you a code unless the sidestand is down or it thinks the stand is down and it won't if you turn the throttle either.
BTW, the side cover I mentioned is where you check the coolant level in the reservoir in case you didn't know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts