Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We started off 2009 correctly today.

23 people on 14 bikes from our GWRRA chapter FL1A meet up at 10 am. It was a little chilly starting out at around 63 degrees rising to a balmy high of 74 degrees by mid afternoon (Not bad for the first day of January).

We rode approx 100 miles north of Tampa to an excellent seafood restaurant right on the water in Crystal River called Crackers (I had the blackened Swordfish sandwich). Our road Captain had mapped out an excellent route keeping us mostly on back roads and out of any traffic. We mostly had the roads to ourselves (I guess most of the Harley and Zoom Splat riders were home nursing hangovers). After riding almost 200 miles we arrived home safely around 4 pm.

An excellent ride was had by all. I hope all your rides for the New Year go as smoothly as this one. :action:

Peter

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
imported post

Chilly at 63 degrees? I would have had my mesh jacket on if it would have been that warm here. 43 when I started out about noon and only got to 53 at the highest. Was way cold and windy on the mountain tops. Had a pretty good 200 mile ride though. Met a nice fellow, new owner of an 05 1800, had coffee with him and a good visit.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

My girl and I rode with the local GWRRA Chapter today. When we arrived at the start point it was around 34 degrees. By the time we finished it had warmed up to around 55 degrees. It was a beautiful ride with about 18 bikes.

Best parts about the ride was that it was quiet and no one was trying to race to point B.

I look forward to many more rides with the local chapter here.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Peter , sounds like a nice ride . IF you want more seafood , next door to Crackers is Charlies . There both great .

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt wrote:

23 people on 14 bikes from our GWRRA chapter FL1A meet up at 10 am. It was a little chilly starting out at around 63 degrees rising to a balmy high of 74 degrees by mid afternoon (Not bad for the first day of January).

We rode approx 100 miles north of Tampa to an excellent seafood restaurant right on the water in Crystal River called Crackers (I had the blackened Swordfish sandwich). Our road Captain had mapped out an excellent route keeping us mostly on back roads and out of any traffic. We mostly had the roads to ourselves (I guess most of the Harley and Zoom Splat riders were home nursing hangovers). After riding almost 200 miles we arrived home safely around 4 pm.

An excellent ride was had by all. I hope all your rides for the New Year go as smoothly as this one. :action:

Peter

got my riding gear on this morn and rode out for a newspaper,round trip about 10 miles..18 degrees....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

·
Premium Member
61,403 Posts
imported post

Ah a chilly 63 degrees, poor baby..
Wish I was there.............

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I got in about 230 miles yesterday. Temps were in the mid 40's
and windy, but nice and sunny.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I hope it is nice out here today. I had to take down the Christmas lights yesterday. Planing on a ride up to Solvang, it is 42.9 degrees so far at 5:45 AM and hopefully will get up to about 75 today. I'll get back tonight as to how it was.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

31 degrees, air was crisp, the sun bright but not creating any noticable warmth. The views of the mountains, streams were vivid thru the clean polished winter air. With heated gear, balaclava and full face helmet the ride was one for the ages. Stayed warm and enjoyed a truly beautiful day.Didn't want to stop!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Our group (TX Y-2) made a short ride to eat, then continued afterwards. The weather was perfect, clear and very little wind. After lunch I traded the heavy gloves for some light ones, and before the ride was finished was opening zippers and the windshield vent. It was a great way to start the new year.

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Woke up to a skiff of snow yesterday, which turned to cold rain, all day, so I left my girl in the garage. :( Glad some of you guys got out for a nice New Year's ride though! :clapper:

John

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Woke up to a skiff of snow yesterday, which turned to cold rain, all day, so I left my girl in the garage. :( Glad some of you guys got out for a nice New Year's ride though! :clapper:

John
Hey John.....That's about the purdiest blue 1500 I've ever seen.......Happy New Year..

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

Not to bad here for a ride the high was 23 degrees if not for all the snow and ice on my street I might have went out and got the mail. lol

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
Hey John.....That's about the purdiest blue 1500 I've ever seen.......Happy New Year..
Thanks!:) That's what I said when I saw one like it for the first time. I said, that's my 1500, and even the best of them to boot. :clapper: I was so jazzed when the one I now own came up for sale in August with less than 9000 miles. :goofygrin: Just a couple hundred miles shy of 19000 now. :)

John

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Yea J looks like we are out of luck for a couple more weeks..:p. I have to go back to Dulles, VA. for this next week. Hopefully while I'm gone things will dry out a little and get rid of some of this ice we have accumulated.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
Yea J looks like we are out of luck for a couple more weeks..:p. I have to go back to Dulles, VA. for this next week. Hopefully while I'm gone things will dry out a little and get rid of some of this ice we have accumulated.
Yeah we've got another 6 inches of the white stuff dumped on us tonight, but the weatherman says it's supposed to warm up to 40 overnight, so if their right it won't stick around long this time. It's heavy and wet right now and still coming down hard. Hope we don't lose power tonight.

Have a great trip!

John

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Hanko wrote:
Yeah we've got another 6 inches of the white stuff dumped on us tonight, but the weatherman says it's supposed to warm up to 40 overnight, so if their right it won't stick around long this time. It's heavy and wet right now and still coming down hard. Hope we don't lose power tonight.

Have a great trip!

John
Take my advice MOVE SOUTH for the winter,

As I stated above we went on a 200 mile ride on Thursday with 14 bikes.

Saturday we did another ride, This time we had a fantastic ride with a total of 26 bikes and a high temp of 81 degrees. Again we did about 200 miles up into the center of the state. We stopped for lunch at a place called Stumpknockers on the Withlacoochee River with 41 people in all.

Then yesterday (sunday 1/4/09) a much smaller group of7 bikes did another175 milesround trip over to the Webster Motorcycle flea market. I had never been there before but it was a lot of fun. Mostly Harley junk. Then we rode what passes for twisty roads in Florida around Brooksville. The high temp was 80 degrees.

We are now in the middle of our riding season.

July, august, Sept when it is 90 + and 100% humidity and it rains everyday is our season to stay in the AC and work on the bike.

Peter

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt wrote:
Take my advice MOVE SOUTH for the winter,
Ahhhhh, would be nice to be a snowbird Peter, but I is a workin' poor folk and I can't do it. :( I got 22 years before I can retire will full Social Security benefits, not that there will be any Social Security benefits in 22 years. :X

John

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you had some great rides. I know our Northern neighbors are really suffering from the cold, but that's what they get for the great riding roads.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt wrote:

An excellent ride was had by all. I hope all your rides for the New Year go as smoothly as this one.  :action:

Peter
maybe next time, i'll know you're going for a nice ride. :action:then i could have ridden with you all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.