Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1999 GL1500SE always starts from cold first kick, but does not like re-starting when warm, just keeps turning over, tried with and with out choke, with and without throttle. Always been serviced by my main dealer but they don't seem to correct my problem.

So want to have a go with my mate,

Thank you in anticipation for any assistance and or advice.

Rod

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I've seen this before, sounds like a vacuum problem. Could well be a vacuum hose perished or loose. This usually means the bike will start easier when cold. Check the hose connections at the manifolds either side and the one that you can see on the left side of the bike with the fairing pocket removed. If they are okay then you will have to remove the top shelter and check the hoses around the carbs.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if you might have a flooding problem? Have you tried opening the throttle wide openwhile cranking? Try this and let us know.

I do agree with Jason, vacuum hoses can also cause the problem if they leak. Sometimes the hoses will soften and collapse when hot so you will have to inspect them very carefully, as just a quick peek won't say very much about condition. You'll have to feel every inch of the hoses to determine condition. Some sections can feel like mush and others rock hard, either extreme is no good.

Vic

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Well, there have been answers about fuel/air, but I would not be shy to venture that it may be an ignition problem. Perhaps as heat builds up resistance changes... coil, pick-up, or other wires... Try retarding the ignition just a few degrees. This should give it much better kick at idle. Jim

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Hi Vic, My Goldwing is a 1000, so it is an old dual point system and changing the timing is as simple as rotating the main points plate. The 1500 is using an electronic ignition system and some of these systems are produced with the setting been unadjustable from the factory. Are you leading me with your question?!! :shock: :cheeky1: I assumed that the timing is adjustable. If not, there still could be an electrical fault that is causing the hard hot starting. :)
Come to think about it, maybe I should shop around on eBay for one of those old Dyna-Spark units for my wing!!! :cool:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I just thought that maybe you knew a secret about Gold Wings that I didn't Jim.

All of the electronic ignition equipped GW's are non adjustable as far as I knew, but, I am working on a fuel injection system for older Gold Wing's that will allow for an adjustable ignition timing through the use of a laptop computer.

I'll post more info as it comes along and I get closer to installing the system on my 84 Aspencade.

Happy Christmas, Vic

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Vic is right, the timing isn't adjustable on the 1500. You could buy a trigger wheel, which was a replacement pickup wheel for the pulse units. That adjusted the timing, but it introduced other issues and I don't see much on the forums about it anymore. I had one on my 1500 and had it taken off and the stock one replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Even with electronic ignition you should be able to adjust the timing... it's the dwell angle that cannot be changed (the number of degrees of rotation during which the contact points are closed [a switching transistor in the case of electronic ignition]).

It's the dwellthat controls the saturation of the coils. If the points are closed too long (too much dwell) the energy of the spark will be low. Electronic ignition (if not defective) should close the circuit the optimum amount of time for effective ignition. They don't often go bad, but it could happen.

I've never seen a vehicle where you cannot change the timing by loosening something and rotating the electronic sensor to change the timing. I don't have a GL1500, but I'm sure it can be done... check the service manual. I'd be surprised if it cannot be done.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

In theory I agree with you Axelwik, but, in practice it would be very difficult to alter the timing on an electronic ignition equipped Gold Wing. If you fabricated an adjustable plate for the pulse generators you could thenalter initial timing, but, you still wouldn't be able to affect the timing advance curve because that is controlled electronically(along with a vacuum signal for 4th and 5th gear only).

That is the reason why I need to re engineer the ignition system on my 84 Aspencade, because the turbocharger and homemade EFI requires a totally different timing configuration than the stock setup. When I incorporate this new system on my Wing the bonus will be a much higher secondary voltage (50,000-60,000 volts) as compared to the stock 25,000 volts due to the replacement coils that I'll be using.

As they say, timing is everything. LOL

Merry Christmas.

Vic

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Hey Vic, Are you going to need a side car to hold all of the plumbing for the turbo? Keep me us posted, This sounds very cool :clapper::cool: Jim

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

No need for a sidecar Jim, as I'll be removing the alternator(and shaving off the rear cover), crossover boxand center stand to make room for the setup. I currently have a forward mounted alternator and that opened the door for the turbo/EFI possibility.

Down the road I'll be building a three wheeler or a sidecar setup just in case I get old(LOL) or so that my wife can drive a Wing also.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Vic,

Guess I'm still back in the 20th century with my thinking, with mechanical timing advance etc. Your project sounds interesting.

Happy Holidays

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It's definately not a weekend project Axelwik, but, I believe that in the end it will be a worthwhile endeavor. There are several gentleman working with me on the EFI portion of this project so between all of us we should be able to come up with an affordable EFI system for the older Wings that will beeasily installed by any DIY type.

Merry Christmas.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

EFI would be nice... especially if it could be made affordable.

The carbs on my GL1000 work fine, but I did modify the jetting for better (more linear) throttle response. EFI, onceyou have it perfected,shouldresult in less maintenance and simpler hardware (injectors, manifold, electric fuel pump, and computer). Less to go wrong.

All the best and good luck with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.