·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a friends 1100 so i can do some work for him one problem is the

starting of it. you press the starter and it justspins with out engageing

the starter clutch till you let go of the button and then its more a grate

just before it stops. but if you bump start it let it warm up it starts on the button but

the next time you try to start it from cold its the same is it the starter clutch if so is there a quick fix other than engine out or is there something else

thanks Glenn /uk

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

change the oil to a thinner grade.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

corneo wrote:
change the oil to a thinner grade.

...or do an engine flush first and then change toi thinner oil. It works in a lot of cases, according to the other threads covering this topic.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened to my 82, the advice worked -light weight oil worked great. Someone else suggested marvel mystery oil. My bike hates the cold. I moved it to a heated garage and the problem went away. hope that helps. these guys are great with helping out!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Soarise is the same, light the heater and warm up the case, she starts right off. But leave her cold and she spins and grunts.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

That is how I burnt out my starter. Only problem was, mine was engaging, but too cold to start, and I wouldn't let up. So it may be best that it doesn't want to engage for you, but then again I don't know what your temperature is at where you are. Maybe that is something I should work on...a block-heater for bikes, especially in Canada.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Kyle - I have been all over the net trying to find a "block heater" to no avail. I remember a dip stick type of warmer being available in the "old days" does anyone know where to buy one? btw today its 5 degrees!:shock:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Mjohnson, you don't really need to spend dollars for a block heater, justscrew a 100W light bulb into your trouble light and hang it under your engine. The heat will rise and keep your engine warm and ready to start.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A hair dryer under the engine for 15 minutes worked wonders for an old snowblower I had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.