Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I laid up my bike at the end of October with the intent of running it for a few minutes every other week. In mid November I had to crank bike over for some time before i could get it to start and I ran bike for 30 minutes. Dec 5 I tried to start the bike to no avail. I used the choke and tried the throttle no go. I attempted to start the bike until the battery started to show signs of getting weak. It appears to me that it is not getting any fuel. When I shut down the bike it was running fine and and the tank is full. Is there a check valve in the fuel system or fuel pump? Don't the carb float bowls remain full when the bike is not running? Is there some way that the fuel can siphon back to the fuel tank from the carbs? Could there be a fuel pump issue? Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Ps; this is my first post as I am a new member.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum! There is another wing member in Penticton, I think he is called Nomandos? My mind is toast right now.

Wings are a funny beast. If I left mine for awhile, it would give me additude but you can wake the beast up!

What is your average temps there right now? Wings dont like the cold too much for starting & it can be a bit of work to get it to fire. If you are able to pull your plugs easly, pull them out & clean them up. While they are out, Turn on your kill switch & spin over the engine with the starter briefly to get rid of any flooding in the cylinders.

Make sure that your battery is fully charged because the wing needs max power to deliver a strong spark durring cranking.

Switch your fuel to reserve until it's running. dont forget to turn off your kill switch before you try to start your wing. If you have a micro heater, Warm up your engine for awhile before you try to start your wing just so it has everything going for it.

See if lordco or wall-mart in your area carries a product called sea foam. Pour 2 oz per gallon into your fuel. It acts as a fuel preservative and an awesome carb cleaner. Your bike will start better next time if this product is keeping the fuel in your carb fresh!

Keep us posted!!!

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
imported post

As Hatchetman says the Wings don't like the cold. Although the lever says "choke" it is not a choke as you normally think of it. The more technical term is enrichener. It is actually a smaller carb inside the carb. The smaller carb runs rich. That gives the bike enough extra fuel to get it to run in colder weather but not real cold. All bikes are different and it depends on the luck of the draw. I would suggest you not start the bike every month. Better to winterize and let sit with a battery tender connected. If you want to try again try this. Charge the battery up full. With the "choke " on crank the engine for a few seconds. If the bike cranks in the kill position it might help. (some crank with kill switch off others don't.) While cranking for those few seconds open the throttle all the way. Release the throttle and start as normal using very short hits on the starter button. Just a second or so. Repeat until engine fires. If it were me I would wait for warmer weather and use this same process or better yet wait until spring. Don't forget the battery tender though. Good Luck,

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Your bike should strart regaurdless of the ambient temperature.

As mentioned:

Make sure battery is fully charged (#1 problem) if not fully charged many times there isn't enough electrical power for the ignition circuit when the starter is engaged. i.e. The bike won't actually fire until the starter button is released.

Make sure kill switch is in run position.

As far as the gas is concerned, if you're not getting fuel you may have a problem with the vacuum petcock. Engine may not be providing enough vacuum at the slower starter speeds, coud be a loose or bad vacuum hose. easy to trace and repair. Or the diaphragm also has a history of failure, again easy to replace or repair.

Now as far as starting goes, do you have a fat blue spark, pull a plug, lay it on the head and look. No spark indicates electrical issue, kill switch, fuse, chaffed wire at steering head, etc.

If you have a spark and suspect fuel delivery, if the plug is dry that you've pulled it could be a fuel delivery problem. When you turn on the key the fuel pump should run for a few seconds, you should be able to hear it.

If these steps don't relieve your starting problem, time to pull the shelter and get you hands on the fuel line for more troubleshooting.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Good advice given above, except that 1500's don't have a selector for the reserve valve, since it is vacum operated. I have a suggestion though, as was mentioned above, 1500's have to have a strong battery to start, get yourself a motorcycle trickle charger/maintainer to maintain your battery in the cold north. Then when you try starting it every week or so, the battery will be fully charged, and if it is under 30 degrees, use only about 3/4 choke and no throttle to start with. My 93 likes that combination the best. Do not crank for more than 10-15 seconds at a time.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

As all the others have said. Make sure the battery is good and at full charge.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I'm with Redwing on this one.If you're going to live in the cold white north you are far better to winterize the bike and walk away from it.You'll probably burn the starter out before you figure out the best way to start it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site eric b! :waving::waving:

Dusty Boots is a member of this from who calls Penticton home. As for starting up a stored engine during the layup, it's really a bad idea. You'll do less damage to the engine and transmission if you just remove the battery keep it on a battery tender protected from freezing and leave the bike alone until it's time to put it back on the road. Even running the bike until the temp gauge comes up isn't enough to prevent acids and combustion by products from accumulating in your oil. Not to mention a LOT more condensation. If you run it you should run it for a good long time under load, not just revving up on the centerstand. Other wise the gear box and crankcase won't get hot enough to evaporate the condensate that running the engine causes. The kindest thing you can do for a bike if you have to lay it up would be to do a fresh oil change, run the engine just a couple minutes to circulate the oil throughout the engine and shut it down. A couple of squirts of fogging compound or just motor oil in each cylinder and spinning the engine over with the starter (not actually starting it) will coat the cylinders and protect them from rust and corrosion. Your full tank is a good thing to do to protect it from rust.

As for difficult starting, it's possible your carb bowls have emptied due to evaporation. It takes a good bit of cranking sometimes to get them full again. It could be that your vacuum petcock isn't opening allowing fuel to the engine. Also double check the kill switch, that wouldn't be a first either. It would be a good idea to check your spark, it might not be fuel.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well I have decided after reading all of the reply's that I am going to remove the battery and winterize the bike. As I don't have a heated garage and I am not going to put the plates on April 09 there is no sense in frustrating myself once a week. I am impressed with the level of support I have received for my inquiry.
Thanks for your support,
Eric B.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:cooldevil:eric b wrote:
Well I have decided after reading all of the reply's that I am going to remove the battery and winterize the bike. As I don't have a heated garage and I am not going to put the plates on April 09 there is no sense in frustrating myself once a week. I am impressed with the level of support I have received for my inquiry.
Thanks for your support,
Eric B.
makes sence . time to put your toys away for the winter . its just not the same down here .:cooldevil::cooldevil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.