Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 GL1100 Interstate that suddenlywill not start. Acts like there is no spark. Battery is full charge and the cables are clean.

The turn signals just recently started to work intermittently. An owner of a 1984 Honda told me it might be the brake light is out. Something about a safety issue.

Any idea's where to start. I am relatively new to the Goldwing world but am proud to be part of it!

Love the "Vintage Bikes".

Appreciate the help.
:)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

Turn signals may just be a relay gone bad. Are you getting a apark at the plugs when cranking the engine?

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

Is the kill switch on? Been there and done that.
Turn signals probably just a coincidence. Not many safety (idiot switches) on the 83, not even a sidestand switch.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

TURN GAS OFF>>Pull all the plugs, lay on the block, do not pull any from ground, then crank while holding each plug tip to the block and check spark one at a time. Should be a nice fat white or blue spark. If not bad coil, wire, resistor, pulse generator, plug, etc. If no spark you can check the first three easily with a meter. Try it and let us know what you find as to spark.

PS cover the spark plug holes so you don't ignite anything.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Not trying to sound funny but last week mine did the same thing. I checked everything. I finally switched the engine kill switch on and off a few times and she fired up like always. Like nothing was ever wrong.

The kill switch felt a little gummy and I think it was just this cold weather had it gummed up so give that a try first befor you dive into it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all for the info. I am checking these replys out. Good Ridin.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Got the bike running. After checking all of your suggestion it helped to eliminate electrical issues. They all checked good. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. Thanks for all the help.
Any suggestions on where to purchase parts reasonable. on the net.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

klden wrote:
Got the bike running. After checking all of your suggestion it helped to eliminate electrical issues. They all checked good. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. Thanks for all the help.
Any suggestions on where to purchase parts reasonable. on the net.
Ebay is good and Checkout FRENCHY at www.crescentmooncycles.com We have a parts for sale forum here , it helps to just come out and ask for what you want , then someone whom may have just bought such a thing can help.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I was haveing a little trouble with my starter I thought at first ,but after I put in a NEW FUSE AND CLEANED AND OILED THE SCREWS THAT HOLD IT , IT STARTS EVERYTIME.!!!!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks for the info! This is a great forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.