Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi
I´ve been in and out of this very usable forum for some years now. Thought I would share my experiences the last two weeks when my trusty Gl1500 1988 refused to fire up.

It all happened after I replaced the fork seals(no problem there). It simply refused to start afterwards. Well...took my Volvo XC70 battery to help with cables. Starter OK, engine was turning. A bit odd sound from the engine....
Ok what then. It ran perfectly since Easter..

1. Spark on all 6 plugs-OK
2. Engine turning( removed cover over ignition)-Ok
3. Tried bump starting the hog with the help by two of my grown up sons. Something is not right. Feels like the clutch is slipping.......changed oil in clutch, bled it well. Starter moves the Wing forward if clutch is released. No slip.
4. In abscense of the wonderous Sea Foam( must be too toxic for Sweden) I poured K-spirit(alcohol) in the tank to absorb water. No help.
5. Called my brother who is a car mecanic. No help!
6. Checked compression- my meter don´t fit! Odd thread on plugs. Stuck my finger down the plug hole and ran the starter. Almost no wind there....Loss of compression? On all 6 cylinders?
7. Went back to this forum again and finally found the solution!

Guess what! The problem was the hydraulic lifters for the valves. They were stuck, not allowing the valves to close correctly- hence the loss of compression.

Another post in this forum suggest plugs out and turning back wheel slowly to rotate the engine. Found that hard. Better a wrench to the crankshaft center nut behind the timing cover and rotate the engine every 5 minutes for an hour or so.
Plugs in and voila! Fired up directly and ran like nothing had happened.
All the plastics back and test drive without any problems.

If you live in cold climate like me, don´t forget the possibility of the hydraulic valve adjusters could be stuck after a long and cold winter with the bike in a garage with no heating.

The reason why handcranking solves the problem is apparently that it bleeds the adjusters slowly. If you just run the starter the oil pressure builds up and the adjuster cant bleed out the excess oil.

Best regards from Anders in Strömsund Sweden

·
Administrator
28,085 Posts
imported post

This is about the 3rd time this has happened recently on this forum. Would be good to know why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.