Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have recnyly been having trouble out of my 2003 suziki intruder 1500lc i have changed the battery and still would not start and yes i did make sure the battery was charged. checked all the connections clean and tight. could not get to start. i rmoved the spark plugs and manually rotated the crank to make sure nothing was wrong as far as rotatoin goes. hit the strater switch and nothing but a bunch of clicks as before. got a wild hair up my butt and took a screwdriver to the relay/solonoid and on a 1/2 discharged battery the starter did rotate the engine i found that tyhe realy is going for about $50 (US) and i just want everybodys opinion on replacing a part if that may not be the cause. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...got a wild hair up my butt and took a screwdriver to the relay/solonoid and on a 1/2 discharged battery the starter did rotate the engine...
A four stoke engine must be able to suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.

Fuel/air, compression, ignition....

I would jump start the engine just in case the battery did not take a full charge. Then, I would check for spark. If it is like some GWs, a weaker battery may not fire the plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What I am reading is you hear the starter relay click but it does not engage or operate the starter. The starter does operate by shorting across the relay ?

Charge the battery fully and check it, then check power to the relay and power out of it with the ignition on and stater button depressed, no power to the starter, but power to the relay, bad relay.

Clean all connections first also, take them loose and lightly clean them with sandpaper or lightly file them with a fine cut file. Sometimes oxidation on the connections will not allow a good connection.

Kit

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

sorry i should have been a little more clearer. yesterday i went and got a new battery, and put it on a 1.5 amp tricklkecharger maintainer overnight, installed it and all that the bike would do is click and rapidly drain the battery. now i did jump the battery with the lawn mower and the bike was very reluctant but it did start. today after wheeling back into the shop i checked the battery and it was fully charged turned the key and pulled the clutch (safety switch on bike) and pushed the starter and it just clicked that is when i pulled covers off bike to expose the fuse/relay block. hit the starter again and i could hear the relay kicking in and out but no starting, pulled the plugs and tried again (pulled plugs to releive the compresson) same thing. thats when i tooke the screwdriver and crosed the 2 wires (battery and starter) this time the engine did rotate, tried the switch again nothing but clicks, redid the screwdriver and rotation. the battery is not 1/2 dead but is on the charger. i removed the solonoid/relay but it is a sealed unit and i cant clean. im just wantng to know should i be looking at a worn solonoid or starter. now before i did all this i checked and made sure that all connections were clean and tight on frame grounding points and all positive connections on the battery and all other points that i could find. now i should mention that when i did get the bike running (jumping off mower) you could see a pulsating in the headlight reflection off the wall. replaced all fuses os those have been eliminated, but now im just confused????

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

If I were you I would have the battery tested, new or not. It's not impossible to have a new battery that is bad. Who knows how long it was on the shelf. I don't know if motorcycle batteries are date coded like car batteries. If it tests good the solenoid is likely bad. A lawn mower solenoid might be a good substitute.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

Either the relay is bad, which seems likely, or else the relay isn't getting enough power to operate it properly. Since it takes almost no power to work the relay, I'd bet on it's just cooked.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is the battery, I am sure it is good, just sat and discharged. A trickle charger will not charge a battery overnight. You need a ten amp charger over a 12 or 14 hour period to fully charge a battery. No need to spend 50 bucks on a relay until you are sure the battery is fully charged. If for sure the battery is found to be fully charged then it is the relay.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

wolfmann, was the engine spinning normally after you installed the new battery? These batteries are small and may drain fairly quickly. Also, when you jumped it, did it spin the engine battery than the charged new battery?

A bad relay can act like a weak battery if the contacts inside are bad. But, this would not cause a short or drain the battery. On the other hand, a bad starter can cause a lot of other problems.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Can he jump the starter directly on his model and bypass the solinoid? To see if there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well as i said before i did "jump" the solonoid. also i should mention that i know for a fact that the battery of the lawn mower was not fully charged, and i did use a 10 amp charger as well as the trickle, put the 10 amp on till meter said fully charged (about 6hrs) charger is a 10amp fast charger, and then plugged into trickle charger maint. and yes id did bypass the solonoid and the engine did turn over without the plugs when bypassed but not when used normally. i was thinking the starter as well untill i crossed the terminals with screwdriver and it tried to startthe old battery was doing the exact same thing and i figured that it was the battery casue i beleive it is the original battery. figured the new battery would take care of the problem. the only was to apply power direclty to the starter is to bypass the solonoid like i did casue of the tight fit i cannot get a live wire to the starter without possibly arcing agains engine block but by bypassing the solonoid i was able to apply power to the factory wire and that is when i go t the engine to spin. the engine did trun pretty slow but by that time the battery was pretty far down in charge

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the starter and solenoid on my GW. The starter had been acting sluggish since I got it in September, then one day it would just click when I tried to start it. The battery was good, starter output on the solenoid tested 0 volts and the starter would barely turn over when the relay poles were jumped. My guess is that the starter was failing which led to premature failure of the solenoid (or maybe the other way around).

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

well crap! i contacted a friend that has a similar bike with the same starter relay and tried it, nuthin. we decided to jump the starer directly to the battery on the p/u truck and even running off the running truck the bike would not budge, after that we took the starter off the bike and activated the starter off the bike and i takes too long to get up to speed enough to start the engine, so that means that i have to buy a new starter anywhere from $230.00 on up (sniff, sniff) thanks guy for all your help

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
A four stoke engine must be able to suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.
hmmmm? Same goes for a gas turbine, as in jet engine.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

wolfmann wrote:
well crap! i contacted a friend that has a similar bike with the same starter relay and tried it, nuthin. we decided to jump the starer directly to the battery on the p/u truck and even running off the running truck the bike would not budge, after that we took the starter off the bike and activated the starter off the bike and i takes too long to get up to speed enough to start the engine, so that means that i have to buy a new starter anywhere from $230.00 on up (sniff, sniff) thanks guy for all your help
:waving:Stocker's Starters in EL Cajon, CA has starters for all makes of bikes and you might be able to get one for $184.95 with free shipping. Below is a link to Stocker's website listing starters for Suzuki motorcycles.The toll fee number is:1-888-786-2537

http://www.stockers.com/PSsuzukistreet.htm

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Ditto what 83GoldWinger said.

I ordered mine from Stockers and got it in two days - helps to live in the same state ;)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

the only thing is that i couldnt find one to fit from them cuz the suzuki intruder 1500 is now the c90 bulovard and the starter is a oem at the moment but did fine one for 230 while the local dealer wanted 307 so i still saved 70 after shipping on a oem part from suzuki

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Do not buy anything yet ,,, on the intruder there is a DECOMPRESSOR on top of the engine and if this is not working the engine will struggle to turn over ,It is fitted to a lot of the big twin cyclinder suzukis ,Have a look and see if it is free and working ,You may have to take off the tank to get at it .But if it is stuck then it is almost impossible to get the engine to turn over ,We had the problem here in the work shop with a 1500 intruder and after changing ,battery ,solonoid,starter etc ,they finally discovered this decompressor on the heads,It only operates when you push the start button andkicks off as soon as the bike fires ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

the decomp was the first thing that i checked. i even took out the spark plugs to release all compression of the enigne and it would just barley turn the motor im talking like 5rpm at best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.