Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought I used to able to start the bike while in gear with the clutch lever in; you know, as if you stalledthe bikeat a red light and needed to restart with out finding nuteral. If the bike should be capable of perfoming this function, and mine can not, do I havea sensor problem and will it lead to other problems?

Thishappended to me the other dayand I had to take time to find nuteral while I noted the frustration of the racers, other cars, behind me in the mirrors. I think they were angry because theylost time and race positions gettingto the next red light.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Hugh,

Next time it happens, try to move your side stand up and down a few times and see if it then starts. Mine did it (once) and I found that the side stand switch was just "stuck". Sprayed some wd40 on it and moved it a few times and it has never happened again.

Joe

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Somewhere on the forum there is another thread on this. It was said that as you pull the clutch lever in, you should hear 2 clicks. If you hear one, that may be where your problem is. I believe they ended up ordering a new clutch lever to fix the problem.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Reitzclean wrote:
Somewhere on the forum there is another thread on this. It was said that as you pull the clutch lever in, you should hear 2 clicks. If you hear one, that may be where your problem is. I believe they ended up ordering a new clutch lever to fix the problem.
Where is this click(s) supposed to be coming from? I went out and worked my clutch to check that and couldn't hear anything...and everything works fine on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

As far as I know there are two switches right at the clutch lever. One is the safety switch to stop you starting in gear, the other is the cruise control cancel switch. This is how it is on an 1800 and I am guessing it's the same.

If you can't start in gear it may be that the safety switch is sticking. You could test this by disconnecting the wires and jumping them, I think the contacts are normally open. If it then starts you need to clean/repair/replace the switch.

Unfortunately I can't tell you which switch is which on a 1500. On an 1800 it is the bigger switch at the top, which may not help you!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I went out and checked mine. you can hear it right at the pivot point of the clutch lever. Mine is doing the same thing as yours.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Have you changed your handle grips resently, had the same problem after changing them. Switch had to be adjusted due to grip being a bit larger in OD

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Just had same problem on mine.Turned out to be the bushing in the clutch lever that was worn.
Try pulling the lever right back to the bars and then rock it up and down,this may operate the micro-switch (you'll hear it click) and if it does confirms that the clutch lever needs replacing.
If you look at the micro-switches,the one to the left (as you look at them) is the switch you need to check,the circuit can be tested by disconnecting the two wires from the switch then bridge the terminals.If the bike now starts the circuit is OK.
My money is on the lever being worn.

Regards Steve

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

So the implication is if you have a good clutch lever with no play you won't hear any clicking? I'm confused here because intrekers original post he said the bike wouldn't start with theclutch lever pulled in. The only time I ever had a problem was starting the bike in nuetral with the clutch out. It would always start with the clutch in, in or out of gear. My assumption was that switch on the lever wasjust a 'neutral saftey switch' like on a car. I would have to believe there was a cruise control shut off but its hard to believe you can hear it click. it's so subtle, I barely touch my clutch lever and the cruise shuts off.....and I mean barely.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

NO.
When you pull on the clutch lever you should hear two clicks.One in the first couple of mm of lever travel which will be the cruise cancel switch,and the second just as the lever gets almost back to the handlebar,this is the starter safety switch.I can hear mine click even with the engine running (but minus helmet).
If the second click is not heard then it could either be a sticking switch or a worn clutch lever bushing.
On mine if I just pulled the lever there was no 2nd click,but if I then waggled the lever up and down slightly the 2nd click could be heard and the bike would start.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the advice! Turns out the clutch lever is worn. Perhaps too many upshifts and downshifts from races to the traffic lights and manuvering through the twistys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.