Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello hope someone can help, I bought a 1976 gl1000. Carbs have been taken off cleaned and floats reset. Also put a new fuel filter on. When i try to get it running i get it started but dies out either when i put it in gear, or after a few minutes of idleing. I wasa wondering if faulty electronicswould do this, or does it seem i am on the right track with the fuel system....Help

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site! It sounds to me like you have a fuel restriction. The carbs may be running out of gas faster than the fuel is flowing into them.
Other members will also give advice, so stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

check resting voltage across the battery...should be 12v +. Now, start the bike and check voltage. Your charging voltage should be 13-14 volts. You can also pull a plug wire and stick a plug in the cap, lay it on the engine to see if you are getting spark, while you turn the engine over. Either no spark, or no fuel. To check fuel delivery, pull the output line of the fuel pump, and run attach a line into a jar/bucket to see if gas pumps out when you turn over the engine (have the kill switch off here so you don't start it accidentally). You may also have a hairline crack in your main 30amp 'blade' type fuse, near the battery.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Whitehog69!:waving::waving:

You gotta have three things, fuel, spark and air. As the guys said the first determination is to figure out if it's lack of spark or fuel. Checking with a plug for spark and checking out the fuel delivery are good places to start.

Does it make any difference with or without the choke? What do your plugs look like, if it's bad ignition they probably are going to look black and perhaps wet, if fuel starvation probably pretty white if they've had enough running to change their appearance at all.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just want to tell everyone thanks for the help, seems it was a fuel restriction problem. Rust all through the tank plugging up the petcock. Got it all cleaned out waiting for the tank to dry . I will be willing to bet it fires right up and stays running. Thanks again....PORK:clapper:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

well done :clapper: This happened to me as well. I cleaned out the tank, and the bike works great now. Put some gas anti-freeze/dryer in the fuel to help evaporate any water/moisture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.