Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 83 Gl1100 has a factory radio, cass tape, cb. The radio has a good amount of static when I listen threw the headset. The static goes to zero whenI apply the brakes. Also when I use the turn signals the static goes to zero with each flash of the lights. Seems that when the electric load on the bike increases the static disappears. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Any corelation to rpm?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like the radio or antenna is not grounded correctly

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

patriot wrote:
My 83 Gl1100 has a factory radio, cass tape, cb. The radio has a good amount of static when I listen threw the headset. The static goes to zero whenI apply the brakes. Also when I use the turn signals the static goes to zero with each flash of the lights. Seems that when the electric load on the bike increases the static disappears. Any suggestions.

:waving:There is nothing wrong with your bike as this noise has always been there since the bike was new and is normal on the GL1100 & GL1200 GoldWings. This noise/static comes from the regulator/rectifier and is commonly called rectifier noise. I've had my '83 since new and didn't hear the noise with the Honda helmet headset that was available in '83 but when I bought the new Honda Deluxe Helmet Headset, early 2008, which is made my J&M is when I started hearing the noise. I called Sierra Electronicsand and was told that if the noise stops when you apply the brakes then is was coming fromthe regulator/rectifier. When the brakes are applied the noise is shunted to ground through the tail lights circuit. At one time they hand a filter available but they discontinued it. The link below is from Sierra Electronics FAQ page.

Send a PM to "GSMacLean" as he might have come up with a filter you might be able to put on you bike to eliminate the rectifier noise. The noise on my '83 realy isn't that bad.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/faq.asp

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

The ground wire from the reg/rect goes to the frame. Make sure you have a good contact there. Unbolt it and clean it up or even better, cut it off and rewire it directly to the battery negative terminal. Make sure if you do this, you use a heavy enough gauge of wire. This will virtually eliminate the static.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
The ground wire from the reg/rect goes to the frame. Make sure you have a good contact there. Unbolt it and clean it up or even better, cut it off and rewire it directly to the battery negative terminal. Make sure if you do this, you use a heavy enough gauge of wire. This will virtually eliminate the static.
:?did this work for you ? also what year was the bike ? if its that simple-- i`ll do it in the morning. would 12ga. be ok ?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

The rectifier does not appear to have a wire going to ground. Does it ground threw the mounting bolts. Mine appears to have a plug that goes into the harness. Where does the ground come out of the harness and attach to the frame ?

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

The ground wires are the two green wires coming out of the rectifier plug. I recommend pulling the wires out of the plug and using a 10ga. wire to attach it back to the mounting bolt. This eliminates the other connections before the ground connection is made.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
:?did this work for you ? also what year was the bike ? if its that simple-- i`ll do it in the morning. would 12ga. be ok ?
This worked for me on my 85 Aspy. Completely eliminated the radio noise.

I actually made the mistake of paying $50.00 for an EC harness. All it does is replace some wires at some connectors and connects the ground wire from the R/R to the battery negative. I'm not sure which gauge wire to use but be sure it is equal to or heavier than what is already there.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fix I want to try also the next time I have the false tank off. The noise isn't too bad on my 82 and it goes away completely when I turn on the extra driving lights. I can run them all the time now since I changed out the 55w bulbs for 35w bulbs last Friday. Also installed a Stebil horn and boy is it loud!!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

From the FAQ at the Sierra Electronics web site:

How do I get rid of rectifier noise in my headsets on my GL-1100 or GL-1200?
Rectifier noise is a constant "buzz" that is either reduced or eliminated by applying the brakes. We no longer offer a filter for this but the filter was basically a grounding harness that took the 2 green wires from the rectifier and tied them to the frame at the rectifier ran to the negative accessory terminal, wing nut on air filter, frame bolt on seat brace, and then to negative terminal of battery. Honda offers what we refer to as a "white band" replacement rectifier that is $170 that will help but not totally eliminate the "buzz"

I tried building this harness - tying the negative accessory terminal, air filter wing nut, seat brace frame bolt, rectifier ground wires and battery negative terminal all together - and it made not one iota of difference. I even tried swapping out the rectifier. What made a difference was putting the 35 watt driving lights on - which is one of the main reasons I put them on in the first place!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.