Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just have to ask the good G.W. guru's here about this ! ;)I would like to rewire from the the cap up to about to where the connector used to be. If I remove this cap what will I be in for ? :shock:The reason that I want to know is my bike " 1985 ASP. " Will not hold a charge after riding for awhile. After checking thissight for answersI found that one of the 3 yellow wires that used to soldredcorroded & broke in 2. So I would just like 2 rewire the whole thing !

I would really like to rewire from where the infamous connector used to be upbehind wherethe false tank is.I'm not really sure where it leads to ?? :baffled:

Once again THANKS in advance for ANY& ALL REPLYS !!!!! :goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet RickinKY!:waving::waving:

I think you're going to have to splice the wires outside the stator housing Rick. There's oil in there. Your wires may have corroded off because someone tried to spice the wires with acid core solder. Cut back enough to get clean wire, use an uninsulated butt crimp (not to be confused with a butt cramp) and then solder with rosin core solder. Insulate with heat shrink tubing. You can trace the three yellow wires to the regulator which is under the front left of the top cover (faux tank). If the connectors look okay and not corroded or discolored they can be left alone, if not splice around them. While you're at it and the three yellow wires are disconnected, start up the bike and measure the voltage between them. There should be around 50VAC across any combination of two yellow wires. If all is well you're in good shape. If you find a pair that have much lower or no voltage than the others your stator has gone to the great junkyard in the sky.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Ricky, that rubber "cap" fits from the inside so you can't pull it out from the outside of the engine. When you remove the circlpi the ruber bung pushes into the engine as far as I can remember.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I really appreciate the fast replys !!

Going to pick up some resin core solder, & some butt cramps, I mean butt crimps !!

THANKS AGAIN !!! :cool:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Ambrose is right (although his spelling is a bit off). I'd suggest not disturbing the rubber bung. Once you remove the circlip and push the rubber into the cover you will have a terrible time pulling it back out to refit the clip. I'd just solder new wires as close to the rubber as possible without burning anything. Good luck with the job.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Ted is right about the plug. It's not ver user friendly when trying to pull it into position. I suppose it has to be tight to keep the oil in the engine and off the deck.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

All the advise in this tread is good Rick, just solder in the new wires and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

First of all ! THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT !!! :clapper:

I went ahead with the rewire & it looks like all is well !

I went ahead andreplaced the main fuse 2 with the auto blade type.

One of the wires coming off the main fuse " red white stripe " didn't look 2 healthy ! As it was corroded & about 2 just fall out of the fuse connector.

Once again THANKS Y'all from Kentucky !!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.