Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On the way home from work today the stator finally gave up at 80,000 mi. While I've got the motor pulled, what else do I need to do in the way of PM?

I'm planning on exhaust gaskets, doing timing belts, checking for oil leaks etc., but I'd hate to miss something that needs doing while it is all apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi Hillbily, speaking for myself I would fit a new clutch while I was that far in, will save you taking the engine out again.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

When the back is open check the scavenger pump is clean.

When you have the rotor off to replace the stator clean the spraque clutch rollers and where the ride. Make sure no springs are broken.

Could also replace the thermostat and crossover tube O rings.
Does the 1200 have O rings?

That's about it unless your willing to split the case and go deeper.
There isnt really any PM can be done inside anyhow.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Service splines, replace final drive seal, slave cylinder cup, synchronize carbs, replace belt tensioner rollers, pull the fuel tank and clean it check it and line it if it needs it, solder the stator wires, use lock tight on the stator screws, use varnish not silicone gasket sealant when re assembling, there is a thread on here some where for an optional thermostat other than the OEM which is about $40.00 u.s.
purchase a stator that has been final dipped in a plastic coating these are supposed to be better, has to do with heat dissipation.
I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned. I went ahead and did the head gaskets and had some head work done, as it turned out it needed it at 83,000 miles.
If you want to get technical, use cam dials to set the valve timing, don't rely on the T-1 mark, it can be slightly off from the factory, its more important to get both side the same even if the timing is just a little off. different belts. turning the belts around switching side with the belts can make subtle changes in the timing, taking the time to get it very close is worth the effort. The 1200 can be a smooth runner when timed and synched just right

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

my 84 has 98,000 miles ,just wondering why yours went out at 80,000

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welsh winger wrote:
Hi Hillbily, speaking for myself I would fit a new clutch while I was that far in, will save you taking the engine out again.

Nick

Welsh Winger
did that on my 1000 when I had the engine pulled several years ago.... as you say, is VERY easy at that time... don't know about the 1200's, but on the 1000 it is VERY easy to break the clutch backerplate when you bolt it back in.... be very careful

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i see you're new on the forum. have you heard about the external alternator mod?. may save you lots of time and you will end up with more power than anything you can fit in the stock location.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I would put a new shaft seal in the rear cover and go ahead and put a new seal kit in the slave cylinder while your'e there. Still get them from Honda pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

One other item we re-built was the starter.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

welsh winger wrote:

Nick

Welsh Winger
No need to remove engine to replace the clutch...... On any of the 4 cylinder Wings..

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
my 84 has 98,000 miles ,just wondering why yours went out at 80,000
Mine went at 35,000 miles whichI replaced with a so called heavy duty stator,I also replaced some of the lights with LEDs but even now the charge can only just keep up with demand. I guess some have weaker rotors than others.

Next time mine fails I'll look at doing an external alternator conversion.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the stators on al the early wings were marginal at best... the earliest 1200's also had their own problems in that honda had some bad stators (all of them would have gone kaput a long time ago and they extended out the warranty to the original owners ONLY) and they also corrected this in the later 1200's. the other "weak link" was the infamous connector for the three yellow wires...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.