Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me exactly where the stator is grounded on this bike? The wiring diagram shows it going directly to ground from the stator, but all the wires coming from mine are wrapped in a tube or in some places electrical tape, which I can remove, of course. But it would save a lot of time if I knew exactly where to look for the termination. It's the only stator connection that I haven't either cleaned or soldered. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

I "think" it's just case grounded to the engine block wich is grounded to the frame. But I have been wrong ONCE before. LOL
Rick

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

The ground is on the regulator bracket on a 1200.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The stater is not grounded. If any one of the yellow wires test as grounded the stater is shorted and toast.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
The stater is not grounded. If any one of the yellow wires test as grounded the stater is shorted and toast.
Exactly, I misread the post and thought regulator for some reason.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Are you sure about that Dave? My diagram shows a wire coming from the regulator to ground but no connection between the regulator body and ground.:?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

There are two green wires that ground the regulator. They combine into the same "gang" crimp for the rest of the bike's ground wires. The ONLY harness ground for the 1200 is located just below the regulator bracket. But it is grounded to the frame. The regulator does not ground through the mounting bracket.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Are you sure about that Dave? My diagram shows a wire coming from the regulator to ground but no connection between the regulator body and ground.:?
Didn't say the regulator body was grounded, only that the ground wire is connected to the regulator bracket.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

From the looks of it, it is showing the case is grounded,not showing any wire color just case to ground. Hal

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
Ken Bergen wrote:
The stater is not grounded.

Then please educate me here:
The stator body itself is grounded as it's bolted to the rear cover but the wires wound around it are not grounded.
Poorly thought out diagrams like that can be very misleading.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Vel, it looks to me dat dem guys vut made up the ski matic vas a little tipsy from da schnapps dey vur drinkin.

It is suppose to reflect that the stator is bolted to the case which is grounded. There are no ground wires on the stator. Only three yellow wires that cannot be shorted to ground, or the stator won't work.

The only grounds in the charging portion of the system are the two green wires shown coming from the regulator.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The stators are not grounded, if any of the wireseverdo ground the stator is dead. The stator body is bolted to the engine case, that's all.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
The stator body itself is grounded as it's bolted to the rear cover but the wires wound around it are not grounded.
Poorly thought out diagrams like that can be very misleading.
I see. Danke. So then it's the two green wires coming out of the regulator/rectifier that I should ensure have a good ground. I will do that later this month when I'm out where the bike is (Idaho). Many thanks for everyone's taking time to straighten me out.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

The stator is not grounded. The reg and regulator become grounded because that grounded system uses the ground or common metal frame as a common wire. So there is a + ve cable and a return - ve which is ground which is joined to the negative side of the battery.

The higher voltage from the alternator is ungrounded, has 3 line wires that each produce the same current and voltage. A 3 phase machine is more efficient than a single phase or a DC machine, you get more current.

The higher voltage gets rectified and regulated by the rectifiers that also reduce the voltage to the near value of the regulator.

At the point of the 3 phase wires become 2 DC wires the rectifiers keep the AC from the DC. Since the DC is now correct for the bike the grounding is simply a tie in for all 12 V DC components to operate with only a single + ve feed and the return is the common ground which must be negative.

All power when used by electrons in motion must go to the electrical device go through the device and return to the source. This arrangements makes for a complete circuit. It happens in AC and DC.

The stator does the same thing as it delivers its AC and also recovers, but at 3 phase it can deliver 1.73 X as much power as a single phase alternator and do it cheaper than a DC generator.

Although the AC alternator is an AC machine the rectifier(s) isolate the AC from DC. When the diodes of the rectifier are damaged they have the ability to take out the whole machine. Diodes can fail in many states from wide open to fully closed, because these devices are solid state and operate because of doping materials.

You can buy diodes and wire them in a bridge circuit, you can get them at higher or lower PRV, peak reverse voltage, the higher the more voltage they can withstand.

Alternators can be made to withstand higher currents and voltages, but the voltage is high enough. Put better insulation in and put the wire coils closer and you can get 30% more amps out of the same sized alternator. This technique is done at motor shops.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

ARK:

Thanks Al for that detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.