Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm just changing my 1st stator and don't want to do this again too soon . I've heard 2 conflicting reports as to what causes them to fail. Most people seem to think they get overloaded by trying to supply the voltage ( exessive lights and accessories ) others say they overheat because they can't get ride of the load. So to prolong life I don't know if I should limit accessories and change to led lighting or add lighting and accessories to use up the load. Does anybody have any real experience with this.:?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
imported post

Welcome 00ldgold. There is another possibility out there. The three yellow wires that come off the stator run through a white plastic connector. That connector has a tendency to melt and the voltage then has no where to go and the stator kind of nukes itself. Most here have cut that connector out of the bike and soldered the wires together. I'm sure that you will get more on this, but at least eliminate the connector from the picture.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Was already done when I got the bike. I'm thinking the overheating connectors is just a symptom of the real problem.:baffling::baffling::baffling:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
imported post

00ldgold wrote:
Was already done when I got the bike. I'm thinking the overheating connectors is just a symptom of the real problem.:baffling::baffling::baffling:


I disagree. I believe it is an additional problem that can be easily corrected. I'm sure the electrical guys will chime in on this and give you more guidance than I can.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

Highly acidic oil can also break down the insulation on the copper windings inside the engine over time. Causing a shorted condition.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,582 Posts
imported post

Sam probably has the best answer. The load does not matter, the stator runs at full load all the time (RPM dependent) so added lighting or reducing load has nothing to do with it. Added load will only possibly keep the system from keeping the battery charged and reduced load will only cause the regulator to get hotter. The connectors fail because they get old and corrode and the deteriorating connection gets hot because of the added resistance. About all you can do is keep the oil changed and your fingers crossed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
imported post

00ldgold wrote:
Was already done when I got the bike. I'm thinking the overheating connectors is just a symptom of the real problem.:baffling::baffling::baffling:
The connectors overheat because they were underdesigned as well as age/corrosion.Many times stators fail when the plug melts and 2 phases touch creating a short within the stator.

You say "was already done"...check again. Check thoroughly. Often when the connector at the battery is fixed, the one by the regulator melts.

I. M. O. take shelter (false tank) off, run 3 stranded 12 guage wires from the stator to the regulator. Cut connectors out by battery and at regulator. Abandon the smaller wire in the harness. Join the wires coming out of the stator to the wires coming out of the regulator with the 3 larger 12 guage wires.

I realize the larger wires will still be joined to the smaller wires at the stator and reg.. Many argue that using larger wire is not necessary. Larger wire has more mass and will dissipate more heat.

Just as important are the output wires (red) of the regulator. When I soldered the yellow wires up at regulator I also soldered the rest of the wiresin that connector.

Lastly check down at starter solenoid the 4 wire black connector that plug into the top of it and also check the main fuse(dogbone). Many have the connector and fuse bypassed with an inline 30 amp fuse holder.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
imported post

Personally I think it's the yellow wire connectors that take out most of the stators. That and possibly acid in the oil although I'm not sure that is much of an issue anymore or just good maintenance takes care of it. The stator had already been replaced on my 1200 when I got it at about 40k miles. The bike had about 35k on the new stator and the plug looked fine from the outside. It was nice and white and did not look deformed. But I puled it apart and you could see it was getting hot and starting to melt. I know the previous owner kept this bike well maintained. I by passed the connectors and soldered the wires directly. The new stator has close to 50k miles on it and doesn't show any signs of failing (course when they go out they probably don't show an signs either). I guess I'll see how long the 2nd one lasts now that the wire connector issue is taken care of.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
410 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Personally I think it's the yellow wire connectors that take out most of the stators. That and possibly acid in the oil..............
The connector is the main cause. Old oil can break the stators down too. Most modern oils have detergents that can eventually break down the varnish on the stator windings.
The bottom line is there are a number of ways your Goldwing stator can die out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
imported post

I'm going with DAVEO430.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
imported post

I believe I read a few years ago the cause of the corrosion
in the connectors was coused by 2 different kinds of metal used in the connectors. Set up a corrosion activity.
Tom Bishop
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
imported post

I think if pigs flew out of my anus, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life. And I'm entitled to my opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I think if pigs flew out of my anus, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life. And I'm entitled to my opinion.
WOW! That was...descriptive...:shock:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,582 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I think if pigs flew out of my anus, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life. And I'm entitled to my opinion.
And that opinion is?
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I think if pigs flew out of my anus, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life. And I'm entitled to my opinion.
Yes you're entitled to your opinion :readit: but please clarify just what your opinion is on the subject of this thread.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
imported post

It's my opinion that anything involving a forum opens up the gates of "I think this is how it works" and then everyone votes on the best answer.

It's also my opinion, you should never eat the bacon served at my house.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
imported post

there is no REAL way to extend the life of the, stator all you can do is the standard stuff.


its like asking someone to extend the life of a car to 300,000 miles

when they go they go thats why i have a job lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks guys some good answers here. I'm believing Dave and I'm going do Sam's solutions and I'm never-never, going to eat bacon from a flying pig.
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

00ldgold wrote:
I'm never-never, going to eat bacon from a flying pig.
And just how can one tell if the bacon one buys at Safeway is from a flying pig or a wallowing one?:?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top