Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone considered the following stator mod? cut rear cover ( red arrow) at angle. install shaft into rotor, cover access hole with bearing so shaft can turn, reinstall bolt to retain cover in place. if this setup works you should be able to change stator without removing motor.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
You would probably only have to change a stator once in the bikes life anyway so I don't see any advantage since you would have to remove the engine to do the modification. Besides I don't think you could get it out past the frame even with the cover cut open.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I don't get how that would work. Maybe I'm just a bit thick :) but can you give some more details?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Basically he wants to cut the area outlined in read out of the rear engine cover. That's where the stator mounts. Then use a longer stator bolt through a mechanical seal to hold it and the stator in place. That way if you needed to change the stator all you would have to do is remove the stator bolt to get it out, and you could avoid removing the engine.

In my opinion it would be a complete failure. First of all you would never be able to get a leak free seal again and you'd be spewing oil like crazy. Secondly the stator bolt is known to back out for no apparent reason. Third the stator shaft is not designed to carry that much weight. And lastly there still wouldn't be enough room to get it out. Thus defeating the purpose in the first place.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Would it work if he had a new cover made to fit over the hole he cut out? There could be room enough to get the stator out, I think.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Well the thing of it is, in order to achieve mating surfaces good enough to work with a gasket it would have to be done with a CNC machine. Which is going to cost more than the project is worth. By the time you spent the money to do this you could pay for two stator replacements at a repair shop. The bottom line is that it's just not feasible. And you still have stress on the stator shaft that it was not designed to bear.

The stator itself mounts to the inside of the cover. You would have to redesign the entire rear engine cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.