Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am replacing my stator in my 1984 interstate, I see stators sell on ebay for $100 and at the Honda store for $300, just what makes the difference between the two?, :applause:not only price.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

Sometimes those aftermarket stators last a year. Sometimes not. How soon do you want to re-do this job?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Ricks electric is a good place to get one but, i still want to know what is the difference or how can they charge that much difference in cost, are they built better or is the cheap ones just that inferior? I think that wire is wire and the case cant be that muce different.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

dudeboy wrote:
Ricks electric is a good place to get one but, i still want to know what is the difference or how can they charge that much difference in cost, are they built better or is the cheap ones just that inferior? I think that wire is wire and the case cant be that muce different.
There's also the makeup of the material used to insulate that wire which needs to stay insulated when wound around those poles and then there is the gage of wire and number of wraps and the solder joint quality.

I had 37K on my '85 when her stator developed a shorted winding and voltage on one leg dropped and I noticed the voltage drop in town too quite a few miles of country riding to recharge ..... the volt meter I installed gave me warning before total failure.

That was 1997 and I installed a "Lifetime Warrantied Honda" stator (since I supplied the labor, only parts are warrantied). 40K miles and 15 years later she's doing great still. Word then was that Honda improved the insulating coating on the wire windings to better withstand high heat inside the motor's rear cover.

I have the stuff to add an external alternator if needed, may do so even and leave this as backup .... or I may just ride on ...

... :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.