Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I also was stuck at a few red lights on Friday and manually turned on the engine fan to avoid overheating. Perhaps I ran the fan a little too long while at low rpm. I lost the thermostat switch many years ago and the mechanic advised it would be cheaper to install a manual switch. Most of the time I like the option of turning the fan on myself before the engine gets way hot.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I didn't check the connection at the regulator/rectifier as I thought if that were bad I wouldn't see increased voltage at the battery when I revved the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
The VAC test is really the only way to test the magnetic field of the rotor. The stator tests are all done through the multimeter. I also like to do the stator tests with a high current which sometimes uncovers intermittent faults in the windings and their insulation.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Replaced the regulator since that was easier but the problem remains. Looks like a stator is needed. Can't get more than 45 VAC or more than 12.5 V at the battery when revving the engine. Any more thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
your problem could be as simple as a bad solenoid connector or the regulator connectors need to be hardwired too
doing the solenoid mod may cure your charging problem,the solenoid connector is where your battery is ultimately "recharged"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I didn't check the connection at the regulator/rectifier as I thought if that were bad I wouldn't see increased voltage at the battery when I revved the engine.
You can get a voltage increase but may not have full current available. Check stator resistance through the 3 poles and also to ground. Check ac voltage with the engine running between the poles
Most faults with these old charging circuits are bad connections:lash:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.