Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am considering buying this because it says it is a higher output than the OEM and is a 'drop-in'. I figured i take the extra minute and load this post before i hit send.

I had been looking at RANDAKK and other sites. Didn't even find one on Randakk!!!

So, for the money this seems like one to try. Any useful input welcome.

David

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

The one I put in from RM lasted 30 miles and took out the regulator with it if that helps.Id just go with the regular one. It might be easier on the regulator if you want to chance it. JB

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

JBz wrote:
The one I put in from RM lasted 30 miles and took out the regulator with it if that helps.Id just go with the regular one. It might be easier on the regulator if you want to chance it. JB
Thanks JBz, I just was wondering, I know a LOT of people here swear by Randakk, I went there first and found none. Do you recommend any other site as a good alternate source?:?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Randakk doesnt deal with stators. I guess you did the voltage tests on yours to confirm it is dead. My honest opinion is to get one from Honda but some people have had luck with RM and Electrosport. RM and me aint on speakin terms So I may be biased. A couple other members here havent fared well either.Its kinda like Do You Feel Lucky. JB

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

JBz wrote:
Randakk doesnt deal with stators. I guess you did the voltage tests on yours to confirm it is dead. My honest opinion is to get one from Honda but some people have had luck with RM and Electrosport. RM and me aint on speakin terms So I may be biased. A couple other members here havent fared well either.Its kinda like Do You Feel Lucky. JB
do I feel lucky:cheeky1:'nough said, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

you could tryTHESE GUYS

I guess when you buying a part for a old bike , sometimes you have to take a chance. at least it comes with a one year warrenty.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

I don't know what is involved in replacing a 1000 stator but if it's like the 1200 the labour is the biggest annoyance if it doesn't last.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

I've never tried aftermarket, but I know a guy who has.He ended up with OEM because the aftermarket didn't work.He never got his money back because electronic parts generally have no warranty.

Really, how often do you replace a stator?This is no time to quibble over a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I've used many high output RMStators and never had a bad one. It doesn't take much to fry any kind of stator. Weak regulators, bad connections, weak and old batteries. Old oil in engine that contaminates the stator coatings. Poor installation as per uneven screw torquing. And last but least the rare defective one. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

thanks everyone, I think what I will do is have my whole system tested first, since it sounds like i could have a few things causing this bike to act up.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I know quite a few people who simply will NOT replace a stator without replacing the regulator at the same time, and vice versa.

Johnny

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I installed one of those from RM Stator and got 1200 miles before I went bad. So I will be pulling the motor again this spring. I will be replacing the volatge reg as suggested this time along with the stator. It is under warrenty but i just dont trust them. It is a lot of work and I hope this next time is the last time i have to do it. If you plan on doing it your self plan on replacing the rubber boot at the drive shaft for sure. I also replaced my thermostate while the motor was out. just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
you could tryTHESE GUYS

I guess when you buying a part for a old bike , sometimes you have to take a chance. at least it comes with a one year warrenty.
I fixed that link for you as it wasn't working. :waving:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I am considering buying this because it says it is a higher output than the OEM"

Bull ****. There is no room in there to wind it higher.

DO NOT replace the regulator unless its an OEM unit. Nothing in a GL1200 stator failure can damage the regulator. Aftermarket regs tend to charge too low.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

TeamGeek6 wrote:
I am considering buying this because it says it is a higher output than the OEM"

Bull ****. There is no room in there to wind it higher.

DO NOT replace the regulator unless its an OEM unit. Nothing in a GL1200 stator failure can damage the regulator. Aftermarket regs tend to charge too low.
Once again, incorrect. A higher gauge wire can be used to allow room for more windings. More windings = more amperage. Of course, this also means more resistance, more heat, and shorter life.

Any stator that puts out higher current than the regulator is designed to shunt to ground, can cause excess heat in the regulator, and early death (of the regulator, not the rider).

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:)Teemgeek6, Does that statement hold true for the LTD/SEI allso ? no room for extra windings and voltage output. What would all agree that would be a suitable replacement ( stator ):stumped:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.