Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

brought a new to me 1200 interstate home the other day. would not run. took carbs off and cleaned and now purrs. however while cleaning carbs, found a stator wire broken, so we soldered it back together. still, stator not working. ordered 1 and waiting for it to come in. started taking everything apart so i could replace stator when it arrives.

well, i find some badly burned wires on starter solinoid. although it would start and run

COULD this cause the stator not to charge properly?

that is the question. thank you all,

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

possibly, the stator might send it's current via the red/white wire from the regulator/rectifier which is connected through the 30 amp fuse then onto the battery.

Also check the plug by the regulator for discoloration and burning.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

First thing to do is repair the starter relay wiring and wire in a heavy duty fuse holder and use a 30 amp spade fuse. Look at the plug above the relay and you will see four wires. Cut the two front ones.....one being red and the other is red and white. Wire them together and then attach a heavy duty fuse holder with a 30 amp spade fuse. Attach the other end to an eye ring connector and attach that to the positive side of the relay or easier still to the pos post of the battery. Make good solder joints and use heat shrink. Leave the two smaller gauge wires attached to their original spots on the relay. Remove the dogbone fuse and discard. This should repair the relay problem. Faulty wiring anywhere in the system may cause charging problems....however you will have torun the stator checks as explained in the service manual. If you dont have a manual you can download one from this site. You will be checking for shorts to ground , shorts within the windings and checking the stator output

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

If you have burned wireing you need to check the wireing also.Inside the fairing too. Need to get it up and running,I will need company for the trip to Llano soon. Do you need me to bring over my new multi meter and slack tube meter[manometer]?I will be available next weekend. Fred

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Any time someone says "check out my manometer", I get shocked.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

litfuse wrote:
If you have burned wireing you need to check the wireing also.Inside the fairing too. Need to get it up and running,I will need company for the trip to Llano soon. Do you need me to bring over my new multi meter and slack tube meter[manometer]?I will be available next weekend. Fred

can always use good company. and i'll be ready for llano. just getting the bugs out:cheeky1:rebuilding the whole thing:cheeky1:

you never need a reason , just show up and we'll ride.

mark z.:waving:

oh yeah, do you know how to use that manometer?:cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, if you're gonna make it to Llano then post on the Llano thread in events section and give me some info to add you to the list.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Hmmm! Guess you will have to figure out what a slack tube guage is for and where you can get it. Please post when you find out[ hint,it is use to sync the carbs on a multi carb setup]. Litfuse

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:cheeky1:i know what it is and what its for, but this dummy don't know how to opperate one. :Dgot a friend tho. that has 1 and may want to show me how to operate it.

gonna be awhile tho. tore bike down for new stator, and it won't arrive until the 24th.

mark:waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.