Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i wanted to say thanks to all of you that have helped me out, only one more question about this stator stuff? i have done any and all tests on my bike about 30 times now thinking it will change, but for some reason it doesnt lol, all indications are the stator is fried. here is my q. can the stator go bad without any signs of hot connections . melted wires and such? all the wiring and connectors are in great shape. has me a little confused i guess???? thanks again

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hello Hammer and welcome to the forum. The stator can fry and then you won't have hot wires anymore. Also it can break down (open circuit) and not have hot wires either. Do a search on the forum to see how to check the charging system, there are loads of topics about this. :waving:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

The stator can definitely pack in without wires getting hot. Do the tests described in various threads and then you will know.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Yes definitely. Hot wires are't the way to judge at all, unless of course they are melted together.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

hammer, my 84's stator died without showing any external signs of its death and I, like you had severe denial problems about it as well. Better to just accept the reality and move on to another charging system so you can get back to riding again.

Vic

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

First disconnect the stator wires andset a meter to ac volts You should get approx 50 to 60 ac voltsor better volts between any 2 yellow wires. I was the same and checked every way hoping that somehow it would cure itself but it didn't.Once you get down to changing it you will see it's not as bad as that.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hammer... How many miles on the bike? Also, has the bike been parked outdoors all it's life? Were the stator wires OEM? or had they been replaced before?

Stators do quit without warning, but unless the engine or electrical system has had problems before, the last thing I would want to do is the stator job... On a 1200, the engine must be pulled.

I feel you should dig a little deeper. Inspect the wiring harness from the stator connection at the back of the engine.. Just because the harness connector looks good, the blade and receiver may not be tight. I replaced the stator harness this weekend on an 84 1200... The plug looked perfect until I opened it to find two wires were touching each other where the connectors were bare and melted the insulation down inside...

Let us know some history on the bike... We can come up with more things to look for..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.