Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know that when I test the stator on my 1200 that I disconnect the 3 yellows and check the wires coming from the stator for resistance but I was also told to start bike, change meter to AC to test for voltage & then have some one hold throttle @ 3000rpm & check wires A, B & C. Does this mean the 3 wires from the stator or the 3 going to the rectifier? And before anyone make the good hearted suggestion, I will not be soldering thes 3 wires as the stock plug is in near new, perfect shape & my soldering is far from desireable. I do chesk thjis area regularly as per all the suggestion about this plug burning up. I just need to know how to check the stator And also how do I do a load teast on the battery. I have a H-F Multimeter. Thank you in advance.:?:action::action::action:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

RTFM Angela.:readit::action::action:

Just kiddleing you. Mark the three wires from the stator A B C
Resistance between AB AC and BC should be close to zero
Resistance between A B C and ground should be infinite

For the voltage test Alternating Voltage AC between AB AC BC should be 50VAC at 2,000 to 3,000 RPM

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:

For the voltage test Alternating Voltage AC between AB AC BC should be 50VAC at 2,000 to 3,000 RPM
Thanks Ken for such a speedy reply. First off what the heck is RTFM. How can I know if I should be insulted if I don't know what it means:D:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Any way I have read the manual & what I learned on that other site that I have been expelled from, but I am going only on logic but when testing the voltage, it still is tested on AB&C legs from the stator correct?:?:?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Ken Bergen wrote:

Thanks Ken for such a speedy reply. First off what the heck is RTFM. How can I know if I should be insulted if I don't know what it means:D:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Any way I have read the manual & what I learned on that other site that I have been expelled from, but I am going only on logic but when testing the voltage, it still is tested on AB&C legs from the stator correct?:?:?
Correct, you're testing the three yellow wires from the stator between AB AC and BC.

RTFM cleaned up is "Read The Flipping Manual":shock:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well Thanks so much Ken. Now i just need to find a place to get the work done on installing the X altenator. You know if you ever are just out for a little toot on your baby, you should drop by for a howdy. I am @ Hazelmere RV park # 64. I am not working so I am @ home most all the time.:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Angela, here's the complete test I've written up and posted a few times. Feel free to save a copy on your computer!!:cool:

Stator Test

1- First, put the bike on the centerstand. Cut the wires on both sides of the stator connector plug. Strip the insulation aprox. 1/2"-1" back on all three yellow wires. Label each wire A, B, and C.

2- With a multimeter, digital or analog, set to read resistance, check each leg to ground for short's. If no short's are found, (o resistance), you're good to go so far.

3- With the meter set to read resistance, check across each leg. A to B, B to C, then C to A. The reading's should be about 3 ohm's. If you read infinite resistance across any of the legs you have an open winding and the stator is bad. If they read good, keep going.

4- A helper is good to have for this next step. With the battery fully charged and the three yellow wire's separated so they cannot make contact, crank the bike. Have your helper rev the bike to 3000rpm after the bike warm's up.

IMPORTANT!!!

You are checking for AC voltage NOT DC voltage!! Make sure the meter is set to read a minimum of 120vac!!

With the bike at 3000rpm, check leg A to B. Note the voltage.

Then check leg B to C. Note the voltage.

Finaly check leg C to A. Note the voltage.

Compare the three readings. They should be between 50-70vac plus or minus about 5vac per leg. If they read good, chances are you've got a bad regulator.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

roscoepc is "da man" when it comes to electrical :bow:. He helped me out an untold amount when I was having trouble with the rectifier/regulator on my SE-i. He made it so simple even I understood it.:D

And stay off them "other" sites, you never know what might be lurking there.......:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Rob, sometime before it starts getting too cold to ride, we need to hook-up at South Holston lake and ride the Snake to Shady Valley!! And maybe a few other places also!!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Okay, Angela. Now that you've got Don and Rob all wound up, and Ken has informed us of what RTFM means.....

Why are you going through all this if you're installing an "x" alternator?

You little trouble maker!

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
Rob, sometime before it starts getting too cold to ride, we need to hook-up at South Holston lake and ride the Snake to Shady Valley!! And maybe a few other places also!!
Sounds good to me, I'm ready to go about any time.....

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

Angela, I have a rectifier/regulator on the parts bike I can send you if it will help. It's good as far as I know, and I'd be more than happy to send it to you. It's from an '84.:action:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
Angela, here's the complete test I've written up and posted a few times. Feel free to save a copy on your computer!!:cool:

Stator Test

1- First, put the bike on the centerstand. Cut the wires on both sides of the stator connector plug. Strip the insulation aprox. 1/2"-1" back on all three yellow wires. Label each wire A, B, and C.

2- With a multimeter, digital or analog, set to read resistance, check each leg to ground for short's. If no short's are found, (o resistance), you're good to go so far.

3- With the meter set to read resistance, check across each leg. A to B, B to C, then C to A. The reading's should be about 3 ohm's. If you read infinite resistance across any of the legs you have an open winding and the stator is bad. If they read good, keep going.

4- A helper is good to have for this next step. With the battery fully charged and the three yellow wire's separated so they cannot make contact, crank the bike. Have your helper rev the bike to 3000rpm after the bike warm's up.

IMPORTANT!!!

You are checking for AC voltage NOT DC voltage!! Make sure the meter is set to read a minimum of 120vac!!

With the bike at 3000rpm, check leg A to B. Note the voltage.

Then check leg B to C. Note the voltage.

Finaly check leg C to A. Note the voltage.

Compare the three readings. They should be between 50-70vac plus or minus about 5vac per leg. If they read good, chances are you've got a bad regulator.
Thanks Don. I alreasdy have that saved in Word & have printed it out this pat weekend but didn't get at it. Ther only thing I was not sure of was if all the tests were done from the 232 wires comeing from the stato or the other way. But thanks to KenBergen, I have it right and as soon as the rain stops, I'll go and see if I have a bad ststor. The one place I feel bad is a neighbour,friend & fellow member Johan had his stator go out & I offered to sell him my Alt & PB kit the realized that mine may be bad so I had to renege. My Good Lord, do I hate doing that. He came forward a while back & gave me some much need assistance on Baby and didn't expect anything in return. Praise be to all the helpful members of this and other sites. You know who you are.:applause::applause::waving::waving::waving:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

glhonda wrote:
Okay, Angela. Now that you've got Don and Rob all wound up, and Ken has informed us of what RTFM means.....

Why are you going through all this if you're installing an "x" alternator?

You little trouble maker!
I know that's me! Actually GL, if I had had a place to work, I would have had the Alt installed 2 years ago. My original plane was to unplugg the 3 yellows, hook up the xalt and have everything on switches and if I was miles from nowhere & had the xamp die, the I just had to turn acc off, unhook X & hook 3 yellows back up & ride on. If stator is gone then Baby is sitting Until next year when my pension kicks in so I can pay someone to install the xamp. Other than the fan belt, I have everything I need & after a PM to Sundance, I'll get the belt. Hey I got an idea! how bout I get my passport & put Baby Blue on a trailer & bring her down to you to help.:D:D:D:D:DLike you said GL...... a little trouble maker.:waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Hey I got an idea! how bout I get my passport & put Baby Blue on a trailer & bring her down to you to help.:D:D:D:D:DLike you said GL...... a little trouble maker.:waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action::action:
Two things wrong with your idea.

One, I don't do external alternators, and

B), by the time you get a trailer, buy a passport, pay for gas down and back, you could have had Ken install it.:shock:Right Ken?:action:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
B), by the time you get a trailer, buy a passport, pay for gas down and back, you could have had Ken install it.:shock:Right Ken?:action:
Correct.
I only see two problems.

1: The training wheels would have to come off to fit Baby in my work space. :ROFL:

2: My policy forbids working on a friends equipment and I consider Angela a friend. I will however spend all day guiding a friend as they do what should be a ten minute job and expect nothing in return.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
glhonda wrote:
Correct.
I only see two problems.

1: The training wheels would have to come off to fit Baby in my work space. :ROFL:

2: My policy forbids working on a friends equipment and I consider Angela a friend. I will however spend all day guiding a friend as they do what should be a ten minute job and expect nothing in return.
So Ken, besides beimg a Guru you are a supervisor as well, eh?:D:D:D:D:D:applause::applause::applause:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
So Ken, besides beimg a Guru you are a supervisor as well, eh?:D:D:D:D:D:applause::applause::applause:
Yep I love work, I can watch it all day.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.