Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here

teacher posted awhile back. i'm trying to read ohms part of this as bike is tore down already.

i've put my tester on 20 ohms and 200 ohms as i don't have a 50 ohms.

put positive lead on 1 wire from stator and the other to ground on battery. it reads 0.00 on all 3. is this a good sign or a bad sign?

if i can find that this is good or not i will put back together and test the other part.

thank you,

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

If it is reading 0 on all three, then the stator is bad - it means all three coils have contacted ground. I find that kind of hard to believe however.

If you have your tester on 200 ohms, and don't have the test leads connected to anything, what does it show? Whatever it is - that's what it should show when you are testing the stator. Most testers I have show "1" (on the left side of the screen) when the leads are not connected to anything.

If your tester shows "1" with the test leads not connected, and shows "0.00" when the leads are connected to each other, AND it shows "0.00" between the stator leads and the ground terminal on your battery, as you have stated, then you've got a stator problem.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The 3 stator leads do test "loop" to each other anyway, with very low resistance- so if one's gone to ground, you'll see ground on all 3.
PS. Are you using an analogue or digital meter? Steve

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
If it is reading 0 on all three, then the stator is bad - it means all three coils have contacted ground. I find that kind of hard to believe however.

If you have your tester on 200 ohms, and don't have the test leads connected to anything, what does it show? Whatever it is - that's what it should show when you are testing the stator. Most testers I have show "1" (on the left side of the screen) when the leads are not connected to anything.

If your tester shows "1" with the test leads not connected, and shows "0.00" when the leads are connected to each other, AND it shows "0.00" between the stator leads and the ground terminal on your battery, as you have stated, then you've got a stator problem.
thank you, thats exactly how it reads. '1' not connected and 0.00 each when connected 1 at a time, from each to ground.

guess i'm on hold until the 24th when new stator arrives.

thank you again,

mark z.:waving:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.