1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,

I'm new here.

I have recently aquired a 1984 GL1200A that is in need of a stator. My question, please, is whether the aftermarket stators are greater, lesser or equal to the Honda replacement stator in terms of reliability - and, if one of the supposedly "higher output" aftermarket stators are used; is it necessary to replace the regulator/rectifier along with it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

kurt

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
imported post

Hi Kurt, welcome to the forum. A friend of mine needed a stator and did allot of heavy research before buying a stator. He infact ended up buying the high output one and never had a problem again. He didn't have to change the regulator the factory one works fine. Are you sure you stator is NG not the three yellow wire connector? Good Luck

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the group Kurt.

If your stator is bad, there is an alternative, and a whole lot cheaper way, to fix it.

Do a search on a 'poorboy' alternator conversion. You basically get an external alternator and don't have to tear up your engine. If you want to tear up your engine, then this kit is not for you. ;)

Check the stator as outlined in the manual and also check the connector from the stator. That fries almost 100%.

I just got an 84 GL122I a few weeks ago and went the alternator conversion method. I doidn't feel like tearing the bike apart so soon.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I agree. If I ever have to replace a stator, I am going with the poorboy on my Wings. They have a much needed higher voltage output for a Goldwing, as we like to light 'em up, plus, you do not have to worry about what to do during a trip if your stator goes out again.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.