Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I continue to have starting and battery drain issues and have noticed that the three stater wires are hot to the touch and even will burn you if you touch a connector. Why are they so hot?

Thanks

Dhoover

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

Do you still have the plug? Could be a connection issue. Cut it out and hardwire wires together as stated on forums here. Could be your stator is grounding out possibley. Any ground issue will cause extreme heat buildup in wiring and cause a fire very easily.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The stator wires do get warm but shouldn't burn the fingers. Bad connection like NewWingers1972 said is worth checking.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

your best course of action on any 84-87 wing is to hardwire the stator,regulator and solenoid connector plus replacing the dogbone/s with a 30 amp auto fuseholder

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks all, but I did cut out the connecter and hard wired the three wires but still getting hot.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Also have a look at the connector under the false tank adjacent to the voltage regulator.( the yellow stator wires) That connector is also subject to heat failure as well. I usually just run three new wires from the stator directly to the voltage regulator and eliminate those two plug problems altogether. Also , as Neoracer has already mentioned, have a look at the starter relay wires and main fuse.......

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

+1 to all comments above, direct connection (using joining clips to provide extra support for your soldered joints)directly to the rectifier. Would it be useful to check the output from the stator at this time for peace of mind? (instructions are within the "How To" section of the forum I think)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.